1982 Carburetor

Stuart Boblett

RQB3263/81/305     I SPOKE WITH MIKE MYERS IN OHIO AND WILL BE MAKING a pilgrimage when it warms up  for him to work on 3263 ....now that will enclude an edelbrock 500cfm and maybe a new manifold..... maybe a heater core or leak correction....  rear disc brake conversion dana 44, ... LED panel lights .... ...good plan ....that ought to be enough ...for 2023 ....bill ( waiting for warmer weather)

On 2/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, SteveG said:

Don't forget that if you eliminate computer controls (rudimentary as they are) you will lose torque converter lock-up function unless you either install a manual switch or an aftermarket control kit for the purpose.

Good point!......I went with a manual  lockup switch on my '83 for complete control.

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2023 at 7:59 AM, Gunslinger said:

I had Edelbrock EFI installed on the '70 I owned.  The fuel pump went just below the gas tank attached and insulated in the right side frame rail.  

I noticed you're recommending a Edelbrock 1403 on a Performer EPS manifold further up in the post. Did your experience with EFI seem worth it? 

My RQB-2978 came with a Edelbrock TM-1 (Torker) single plane manifold, which I've learned is intended for higher (3000+) RPM apps. I've never been real happy with low rpm drivability, So I'm replacing it with a Performer EPS and slapping the Carter 9625 back on. I am not assuming the 9625 is ok; if I can't tune it satisfactorily I was considering a new 1406 as there isn't even a choke on the 9625. But EFI is tempting too. Is it worth the extra effort and $$$? Is the 1403 a better budget choice? Not racing, 700r4, 3.08 gears, rarely sees >4000. 

On 2/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, pantera928 said:

Where did you put the manual lockup switch? Can you leave it on all of the time?

On driver's side console..simple on- off switch.

11 hours ago, John D said:

I noticed you're recommending a Edelbrock 1403 on a Performer EPS manifold further up in the post. Did your experience with EFI seem worth it? 

My RQB-2978 came with a Edelbrock TM-1 (Torker) single plane manifold, which I've learned is intended for higher (3000+) RPM apps. I've never been real happy with low rpm drivability, So I'm replacing it with a Performer EPS and slapping the Carter 9625 back on. I am not assuming the 9625 is ok; if I can't tune it satisfactorily I was considering a new 1406 as there isn't even a choke on the 9625. But EFI is tempting too. Is it worth the extra effort and $$$? Is the 1403 a better budget choice? Not racing, 700r4, 3.08 gears, rarely sees >4000. 

To be honest...I put EFI on my car simply because I wanted it.  For as much as I drove the car it really wasn't cost effective.  It did work great though.  A carburetor is a much simpler way to go...and a cleaner looking installation as well.  

For a stock or near stock small-block Chebbie a 500 cfm carb is all you need.  A 600-650 is fine as well is you re-jet it...it's a bit more than necessary as it is...unless you plan on spending time at higher rpms.  For any Edelbrock carb without an electric choke you can add one...Edelbrock sells them separately.