1982 Carburetor

Stuart Boblett

I have not posted on here for a while since my car has been doing pretty well with one exception. I have a 1982 Avanti II with factory electronic carburetor which runs great once it is warmed up but hesitates a bunch when it is cold. I have tried to set the choke but really know nothing about these electronic computer controlled carburetors or even if the carb is getting the correct signals from the computer. Does anyone have a recommendation for a bolt on replacement carburetor or suggestions. Does the computer just control the carb or does it control other functions such as timing etc? If I replace it I plan to keep the wiring etc and of course the original carb. How would this affect the the automatic transmission of at all?  I would appreciate any recommendations including the best place to order a carburetor. Thanks.

RQB3263/81/305 Yes.........I replaced my electronic Q-JET with a NON  e-jet.....one wire....direct bolt in identical easy ...rebuilt ...less than $200 and works perfectly for 7  years now..... BILL

• 6 months later...
On 8/2/2022 at 7:53 AM, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305 Yes.........I replaced my electronic Q-JET with a NON  e-jet.....one wire....direct bolt in identical easy ...rebuilt ...less than $200 and works perfectly for 7  years now..... BILL

Bill,

Do you remember the part number you got and what was the one wire you used on it? I have tried a stock rebuild from National and it still has the same problem as the original. Checked and rechecked all vacuum lines and fuel pump with no success. It will with a very fast engine speed but only run while pumping the gas and will not idle. I suspect something in the computer circuit but have no way to check this out. Your solution sounds like my best bet. I appreciate your help.

Stuart

RQB3263/81/305 ... AS I stated here earlier.... install a non electronic q-jet ..... however.... that may not solve all your problems as I have discovered..... my GURU tells me that there are two lead plugs in the bottom of the float bowl that eventually begin leaking... resulting in slow draining of the float bowl and extended cranking time to re fill the float bowl from the mechanical pump.....after that it operated normally.... this is how mine operated after it sets up a day or two .... there are several fixes available.... GURU SAYS NON OF THEM WORK.... either live with it or replace the carb...... I live with it .....As the non electric q-jet works just fine .... keep in touch..... BILL

2 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305 ... AS I stated here earlier.... install a non electronic q-jet ..... however.... that may not solve all your problems as I have discovered..... my GURU tells me that there are two lead plugs in the bottom of the float bowl that eventually begin leaking... resulting in slow draining of the float bowl and extended cranking time to re fill the float bowl from the mechanical pump.....after that it operated normally.... this is how mine operated after it sets up a day or two .... there are several fixes available.... GURU SAYS NON OF THEM WORK.... either live with it or replace the carb...... I live with it .....As the non electric q-jet works just fine .... keep in touch..... BILL

Do you know the part number of the non-electric carb you used? It sounds like a direct bolt on using the stock distributor and intake but everything including linkage bolts right up. Is this correct and did you only use one wire? Do you remember what wire that was? I really appreciate your help. My computer controlled carb from National still does not solve or change the problem.

Stuart

56 minutes ago, Stuart Boblett said:

Do you know the part number of the non-electric carb you used? It sounds like a direct bolt on using the stock distributor and intake but everything including linkage bolts right up. Is this correct and did you only use one wire? Do you remember what wire that was? I really appreciate your help. My computer controlled carb from National still does not solve or change the problem.

Stuart

Stuart..you cannot use the stock distributor if you go to a non- electronic carb..You HAVE to go to thr earlier vacuum advance type!

RQB3263/81 .... ITS THE SAME CARB .... ROCHESTER Q-JET .... BUT WITH ALL THE JUNK REMOVED AND MAYBE OTHER MODS  ...YES ONLY ONE WIRE TO THE CHOKE...

NATIONAL BUILT IT FOR ME A LONG TIME AGO.....YOU CAN THEN FOLLOW ALL THE EXTRA WIRES TO THERE UNITS AND EITHER REMOVE (AS I DID) THE UNIT OR CUT 

OFF ALL THE EXTRA WIRES AND DISCARD..... WORKED FOR ME PROB 10 YRS AGO..... CONTACT NATIONAL THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE DISCUSSING .....

RQB3263.....MY DIST IS NOW AN AFTERMKT HEI  (COIL IN CAP)  IT THE SECOND OR THIRD IN THE LAST 10 YRS AND MUST BE VACUUM ADVANCE... THAT IS PROB MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE CARB PROJECT ....... BILL

Thanks to all of you. I misunderstood Bill's initial comments. My plan is for a new intake, carb and distributor and hopefully that will solve the issues. Besides the carb wiring what vacuum lines etc can be removed or disconnected? 

Thanks,

Stuart

If your state allows, this would be a good time to 'clean up' your engine compartment...remove air injection tubes to exhaust manifolds and plug holes...get rid of air pump. Egr valve, vac lines, etc.

Makes the engine much easier to access! 🙂

PS..if you have any $$$$ left over, you may as sell lose the super restrictive 'cat' exhaust system and install a true dual exhaust system!

Edited by mfg

RQB3263 /81/305 .... YES YES AND YES.3263 GOT ALL THESE MODS AND TRUE DUAL S/S EXHAUST ( NO CAT) ... YOU WILL NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE... BILL

NOW IF I COULD JUST GET SOME HELP/ADVICE ON REAR DISE BRAKE CONVERSION FOR 81 AVANTI WITH DANA 44 FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY COMPLETED IT ... THANKS ....BILL

My own recommendations...not necessarily the best...is that while the Quadrajet is an outstanding carburetor...there are no new ones being built.  All are very old by now and rebuilt who knows how many times by now...or abused and in disrepair if not having been rebuilt.  It takes a good rebuilder who understands the Q-jet to rebuild one and set it up properly...talents in short supply these days.  Do not...I repeat...do not buy an assembly line rebuilt carburetor.  They will only cause trouble as they're not set up for any car in particular...plus they're just as likely provided only a cleaning and some new gaskets, floats and bushings replaced.  

I would suggest (as already stated) to get a new Edelbrock Performer (1403) or Performer (9903)...along with a Performer or Performer EPS intake manifold.  The standard Performer intake can take either a spread-bore (Quadrajet and some Holleys) or a square-bore carb (Edelbrock).  The Performer EPS is optimized strictly for the Edelbrock square-bore carbs and posts somewhat better horsepower and torque numbers....but it sits slightly higher so clearance may be an issue.  

There are good oe-type or performance distributors on the market.  Most any should work admirably.

I also agree with getting a true dual exhaust...but first check and make sure the frame has the openings on both sides of the X-member for pipes to pass through.  After a certain point some Avantis were only given one clearance hole for the exhaust.  If you can run duals...or even only one...get the biggest diameter pipes that will fit without hitting the frame.  Let that engine breathe!  

I know this might run more than you might want to spend.  I'm just saying give it some thought about what you want out of the car and then assemble the parts that will accomplish that.  You can always call the tech line at Summit Racing...they will ask you questions and give you solid advice regardless of brands.  You can call Edelbrock for their advice and get probably the same answers but they'll recommend their products of course.  Edelbrock makes great products but they're not the only good name out there.

If you want fool proof and great drivability, throw the cars in the trash, and put on a complete fuel injection system. I like the Holley Sniper systems.  Simple to install, and they work. Even the timing can be controlled by the system, and changed anytime you want from the drivers seat.

RQB3263/81/305 .... WELL I AM TAKING THIS ALL VERY SERIOUSLY AS I NOW HAVE A "SMELL" IN THE CAB ...NOT EXACTLY GAS NOT SUTE.... I WILL CONSULT WITH MIKE MYER IN OHIO AS I WANT TO GO THERE WHEN IT WARMS UP AND GET THE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION SO MIGHT AS WELL HAVE HIM INSTALL AN EDELBROCK