Turning radius

80Avanti

Would installation of quick steering arms reduce the turning radius on my 1980 Avanti?  The way it is now, I dare not attempt a U-turn unless I have three lanes to make the    U-turn.  Also, does anyone know the length of the quick steering arms and the length of the stock steering arms?  I don't want to order the quick steering arms if there's a possibility they're already on my car.

Thanks, Tim  

It will help some but not much.  The quick steering arms were designed to restore the turning radius to the original design with the original steering box before the change to the forklift steering box.  Remember the Avanti is on what is basically a 1953 chassis and the comparison to modern platforms is huge in how ancient the platform truly is.

8 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

It will help some but not much.  The quick steering arms were designed to restore the turning radius to the original design with the original steering box before the change to the forklift steering box.  Remember the Avanti is on what is basically a 1953 chassis and the comparison to modern platforms is huge in how ancient the platform truly is.

Just now, 80Avanti said:

Thanks Gunslinger,

I guess my best course of action is to avoid U-turns as much as possible and forget about installing the quick steering arms on my Avanti.

If I'm not mistaken, your '80 would already have the "quick steering" arms.  As noted above, they were implemented to compensate for the forklift steering box.  I don't know when that change was made, but my '78 has the forklift box.   I think that the "quick steering" term came when owners of older Avantis with the original steering box realized how these arms would affect the steering response.

12 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I doubt if an '80 Avanti would have the quick steering arms...it was Steve Blake who initiated that upgrade and he purchased the company about 1982.  

I have a bone stock 1980 and it does not have them. I bought a pair but have never installed them.

RQB3263/81 .... I dont believe the quick steer links will change the turn radius..... it will only go as far as the suspension geometry / built in stops allow....now it may get to the stop slightly quicker ....but no change in the turn radius......BILL