RQB2978 history desired

John D

After seeing discussions on front air dams i figured it was time to post. In November we bought RQB2978, a 79 Avanti II, from a garage selling for the estate of Roger Tanner in Coeur d'Alene ID. We have named her Veronica (Ronnie the Avanti). Her round headlights caught my eye. I was hoping to hear more about her past at the Northwest Avanti, but didn't have much luck.

Roger also had a nice '63 R1 in dark green, which I saw in CDA when I went to check Ronnie out. The headlights aren't quite right but I can work with that, we bought this to be a driver.

Note the air dam underneath. The openings feed nicely made dual ram air ducts and a dual snorkel air cleaner. Also note the Ford type coolant tank... but there's more! the front wheel well arches are high like a '63. 

Turns out she has Corvette c4 front suspension! Handles great, rock solid. Stock rear springs aren't stiff enough to match the transverse Vette leaf, but that's easy to change. Due to the wider c4 track, offset wheels are needed. Fitment on these is 98-02 Camaro. It had mullet c4 wheels on it but they stuck out another 3/4". 

The rear axle is an 8.2 GM 10 bolt 3.08 with discs, and track width matches the front. There's a 700R4 behind the 350, and a Torker/AFB on top. 

lots of other tweaks too, like Studebaker script on the trunk lid, battery in trunk, a fully braced class 3 hitch that fills half the spare tire well. I.. and Electric-Life window lifts that absolutely suck.

So at some point Ronnie got a LOT of love somewhere. One guy on the NWOD said he didn't think Roger did the mods.

Is there anyone out there that remembers this car, in any capacity? She's a very enjoyable and 20211229_161246.thumb.jpg.be4892b12c5b29c33d54ef849309731d.jpgcapable tourer now but the story is often as interesting as the car. Thanks!

20220522_112138.thumb.jpg.1f3d7de305f6ebc17b4b6b1cb0ab1a2f.jpg