AIR DAM/CHIN SCOOP/FRONT SPOILER

wildfelr

RQB 3263/81/305 ......I have been for several years now trying  to acquire  one of the fiberglass chin scoops seen on several Avanti ( two here in Fl).....having located the original manufacturer (George) in Tenn. and  actually going  there  last Thursday to meet him and buy one.... all unsuccessfully..... so even with an extra 350 miles added to my trip I still am no closer to purchasing a scoop..... this by the way includes at very least a dozen phone calls.....  SOOO...I am attaching 3 pics of the scoop I am looking for with hope an Avanti owner may have a spare I can purchase...... If you can help me .... BILL IN FLORIDA....386-466-6434.... THANKS

004.JPG

004A.jpg

004B.JPG

• 1 month later...

I would like to solve the mystery involving this part. My name is Mike Phillips, and I am the creator of the spoiler / air dam in these pictures. In the 80's I owned an auto body shop and was a member of AOA, during that time I owned a '63 R1 and a '70 Avanti II. I designed and executed both the positive (plug) and negative mold to produce these parts which I still have. I would be glad to answer any further questions anyone may have.

20220810_102722.jpg

20220810_102730.jpg

20220810_102804.jpg

20220810_104037.jpg

20220824_145156.jpg

Yes, I could make them, but the cost of resin, gel coat, etc. being tied to the price of oil, the materials have gotten pricey. That being said, it would be relative to demand, if material cost were to be spread among 10 or so units the cost would come down. Another prospect would be to approach manufacturers of fiberglass parts to produce parts from my mold possibly even upgrade to carbon fiber cloth. As I am now retired and 72 years of age, I am not so sure that I want to start laying up fiberglass again. 

I have sold the spoiler in the pictures to widlfelr (the originator of this post). Maybe there is an AOA member with fiberglass manufacture experience that would  consider buying the mold and bracket kit prototype from me and continue to produce them. 

RQB3263/81/305  wildfelr@copper.net ...  RQB3263 is in the paint shop now for minor repair and touch up..... Mike and I will be getting together  on the spoiler installation soon as 3263 returns home..... I will post pics and details in the 65-83 forum.... stay tuned 

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 12:56 AM, Michael Phillips said:

I would like to solve the mystery involving this part. My name is Mike Phillips, and I am the creator of the spoiler / air dam in these pictures. In the 80's I owned an auto body shop and was a member of AOA, during that time I owned a '63 R1 and a '70 Avanti II. I designed and executed both the positive (plug) and negative mold to produce these parts which I still have. I would be glad to answer any further questions anyone may have.

I have a guesstimate about the process. Am I a couple houses away, or at least in the right neighborhood?

The gist of how much I understand goes like this
1) Slather PVA on the + and -
2) Allow that to get tacky
3) Lay in material (fiberglass / carbon kevlar / carbon fiber)
4) Add resin with hardener
5) Roll out air bubbles
6) Repeat 3-5 a couple more times
7) Clamp the positive and the negative together and wait.
7 alt) I've also heard to make a large vacuum sealed bag, put the creation in there and suck all the air out. And wait.

You have a pretty good grasp of the process.

1-Mold is waxed and or treated with release agent.

2-Pigmented gel coat is sprayed into the mold

3-Fiberglass or carbon fiber cloth is hand cut to shape and laid into the mold with appropriate resin.

4-Bubbles and contour irregularities are rolled out.

This mold was made in the 1980's and is for the technology of the time (hand lay-up). It is a one-piece mold, the positive that is pictured is an actual finished part.

The 2-part molds you are referencing are for pulling the catalyzed resin into the mold using vacuum. This is much newer technology usually with clear resin to show the carbon fiber (woven) cloth.

• 2 months later...

AVANTI SPOILERS ARE IN PRODUCTION! 

Please use the link below to access description and installation instructions. There are currently only 5 produced out of a run of ten. If you are interested in purchasing. please fill out the contact information on the link site and you will be put in the cue, once ten are sold out it will take a month or so to make more. 

https://avantispoliers.bigcartel.com/

HELLO AVANTI SPOILER FANS .....RQB3263/81 ... IS JUST OUT OF THE PAINT SHOP FOR TOUCH UP AND BUFF .... NEVER LOOKED BETTER..NOTE THE GREAT CUSTOM SPOILER ON THE FRONT ...YOU ALL KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ....BILL

image.jpeg

Well, I got my new one this weekend. I did a test fit but will probably wait until I paint it before installing.

Quality looks good as does the fitment. Looking forward to getting is installed

• 1 month later...

There have been some questions re. the placement of the brackets to install my spoilers, also as to whether fitment was possible on post 1984 cars with plastic bumpers. In order to try to clarify, I took a ride to a friend's shop who has a 1985 project car and mocked up a spoiler on it. The part did fit up to the edges of the '85 bumper OK, but since the bumper cover wraps around under the fenders it altered the ability to fit flush, by the thickness of the fiberglass. This could be improved by trimming either the bumper cover or the spoiler slightly. I also found that this particular '85 had some additional cooling ducts installed into the scoop area with flexible hose routed into the engine compartment. I don't know if this was factory installed or was an owner addition, either way the part partially obscures the openings, as seen in the pictures. I was surprised to see that the hole in the lower radiator support, which I had described as being in the center is actually offset a bit off center. If you are a stickler on symmetry you would have to drill a new hole on center, otherwise there is no problem with using the factory (offset) hole. I also recommend when drilling into the metal radiator support, to slip a piece of tubing or rubber hose over the drill bit, to act as a stop so that the bit cannot snag and be drawn into the frame (possibly hitting the radiator). I am hoping these pictures help with the placement of the original design brackets, if you are choosing to mount it that way.

20230322_125106.jpg

20230322_125115.jpg

20230322_125147.jpg

20230322_125152.jpg

20230322_131231.jpg

20230322_131255.jpg

20230322_131336.jpg

20230322_131340.jpg

20230322_131926.jpg

20230322_131936.jpg

Oh cool! Thank you for finding an answer about Blake cars.

Those circular openings are made to lead to the engine intake; shown here on my project. Some might elect to keep those openings; I am leaning to keep mine but will most likely repurpose them and aim ducting at my brake rotors. I'll draw intake air from some other location, as I won't be using the 305 anymore.

So if I was to remove the ducting grille, firmly affix but mock up the front spoiler, and then gently cut out a radius on the spoiler in that location, I should be okay. Maybe even contort myself and use a Dremel type tool to cut away the spoiler piece from the back of the hole (engine bay side). From the back I could see the stock hole opening and what portion of it was blocked.

Heck, the spoiler being present should guide more air through that opening.

1409146971_Engineairinlethoses.thumb.jpg.5fdab8bc03972bd2259d3b101f91cfb1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

RQB3263/81/305   IM GLAD TO SEE MORE SPOILERS GOING ON ...THEY LOOK GREAT ..... BTW I DID NOT USE ANY OF THE BRACKETS PROVIDED..... 

ON MY INSTALL THE SPOILER OVERLAPPED  ONTO THE BODY PANEL SUFFICIENTLY TO SIMPLY DRILL THRU BOTH AND SECURE WITH (6 OR 8) 3/16 S/S MACHINE SCREWS  WASHERS AND NYLOC NUTS.....VERY EASY.....  GOOD LUCK.... SEND MORE PICS .....BILL IN FLORIDA

FullSizeR (10).jpg

• 4 months later...