Here’s one for the authenticity book

Nelson

Here is the shifter plate for the power shift in serial R1016. It has a molded clear plastic cover which encompasses the entire chrome shifter plate on both sides of the handle. It’s original, probably preproduction but on the car. Definitely not back yard.

42BBC91F-FB17-415E-BED2-D5257BD2FE7B.jpeg

15623623-8EC8-4E1E-98BA-1F2D25C8888B.jpeg

169C64B8-C0BA-4B22-8386-C9D04484CD89.jpeg

6 hours ago, Nelson said:

Here is the shifter plate for the power shift in serial R1016. It has a molded clear plastic cover which encompasses the entire chrome shifter plate on both sides of the handle. It’s original, probably preproduction but on the car. Definitely not back yard.

Nice! What would be the benefit of this plastic cover?

If you look at the December 1963 parts manual for the Avanti the plastic cover is listed but never actually entered production...maybe a few but I've never seen one.  If Avanti production had continued the cover would have most likely been produced.  I believe its purpose was to insulate against heat from the transmission area.  Anyone who has an automatic equipped Avanti knows how hot the shifter quadrant can get.  

Kind of neat looking at the real early cars. I didn’t take the cover off the selector as I did t want to disturb or break it. I couldn’t see the letters underneath so I assumed they may have been originally painted on the back of the plastic and have faded off. The heat sounds like good reasoning to have it and the fact it’s in a parts book and one had been advertised is interesting.

I thought the two tone steering wheel is also cool. This one is broken loose at the weld joints so needs to be fixed. I’ll probably do that just to keep the originality.