Anti Intrusion Bars- Do we have 'em?

Zedman

Do Avanti II doors circa 1981 have any 'Anti Intrusion Bars' included in their construction?  It appears I will get away with deleting the Catalytic Converter (Yay!) and be able to install an earlier style dual exhaust, but Australian Design Rules for 1981 will require side intrusion bars within the doors. A lot of 1970 US built musclecars imported here have had to had Bars made up and installed.

12 hours ago, Zedman said:

Do Avanti II doors circa 1981 have any 'Anti Intrusion Bars' included in their construction?  It appears I will get away with deleting the Catalytic Converter (Yay!) and be able to install an earlier style dual exhaust, but Australian Design Rules for 1981 will require side intrusion bars within the doors. A lot of 1970 US built musclecars imported here have had to had Bars made up and installed.

Looks like you'll need to do a custom job...The only metal inside an '81 Avanti door is the window regulator!

Looks like I may have to put myself at the mercy of the inspecting engineer when I present the car.  It will be interesting as to what solution will be suggested.

22 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

They are steel beams attached inside the door to strengthen the car's ability to withstand a side impact, such as being T-boned by a car.

--Dwight

Got it. Never heard those reinforcements called by that name. Thanks