Power steering to Non Power conversion.. need parts

CaptainChaos

I am looking to ditch the power steering system and install the non power  Pitman and drag link on my 63 Avanti. Need to source new or used. Will pay handsomely and  be VERY grateful. If this is not an option, I need to find a good Stude Mechanic in Dallas TX to rebuild the power system .  Thinking that the non power and if needed an EPAS conversion will be the right way to go..

Thanks All..

Ratios are different, 1:22 for manual box and 1:16 for the power box. Just something to be aware of, because the 1:16 with no power assist will be quick but pretty heavy for parking. That said, I have the manual parts. PM if interested.

I did the same to a '64 Avanti I used to own...I ended up re-installing the power assist as the 16-1 ratio power steering box made the steering VERY heavy!

Thanks Mfg.. good to know, this reinforces the decision to EPAS the thing once Hydraulics are removed. So good to be on this Forum. 

Ntenna, I did pm you. Many thanks all.

I am thinking that the Prius might be the way to go. However, I am still looking at all options. I will post whatever direction i take and appropriate photos and progress etc.

EPAS is slick and will give you power steering like a contemporary car...but cha-ching $$. I had my steering system gone through and replaced a lot of worn out, or incorrect parts. It aint real power steering...just boost from the hydraulic ram. If you pull it out and go with manual steering, be prepared for a real good muscle workout. But you'll look really buff at the gym!

15 hours ago, Desert Driver said:

EPAS is slick and will give you power steering like a contemporary car...but cha-ching $$. I had my steering system gone through and replaced a lot of worn out, or incorrect parts. It aint real power steering...just boost from the hydraulic ram. If you pull it out and go with manual steering, be prepared for a real good muscle workout. But you'll look really buff at the gym!

Ha ... that will be a bonus... i think epas is the way! getting rid of the power hydraulics will clean up the engine compartment a bunch though.

I will go with the electric at some point.  Bought 4 new hoses, after a day of frustration with them not fitting, loosening up when moving and inaccessibility, we gave up.  Replaced the one leaking the most and reinstalled the other 3 old hoses.  The new hoses were too stiff to travel and would just move at the connection and loosen up with just a couple of test turns on the hoist.  Never again will I work on this power steering system.  Next repair will be the conversion. 

7 hours ago, sailingadventure said:

This is how I converted my car from manual to electric power steering. I hope this helps.

I am very grateful that you posted this for me. Many thanks to you. This is PRECISELY what i need. I think that this forum is the best! Many thanks again... this will be save for reference.!

5 hours ago, hillsidehemi said:

I will go with the electric at some point.  Bought 4 new hoses, after a day of frustration with them not fitting, loosening up when moving and inaccessibility, we gave up.  Replaced the one leaking the most and reinstalled the other 3 old hoses.  The new hoses were too stiff to travel and would just move at the connection and loosen up with just a couple of test turns on the hoist.  Never again will I work on this power steering system.  Next repair will be the conversion. 

There is something to be said for modern tech!