Paxton F-type oil. Mineral or synthetic?

Leo B

Does it matter. Mineral ATF or Synthetic for Paxton?
I have Valvoline ATF Synthetic (I think this is not suitable) and I have also Comma ATF AQF Automatic Transmission Fluid which is Type F and mineral and for older cars.
I have read many forums and some writes "dont use synthetic" and some wrotes
B&M trick shift -brand is best. Some wrote "use any type F".

Edited by Leo B

Hi, I got a clear answer from professional. Old type F trans fluid. No synthetic or any universal oil that works with them all. Must be strictly type F fluid.

From what I understand the reason is the planetary balls require a certain amount of rolling friction to roll properly.  With synthetic fluid with its lack of inherent friction the planetary balls will slip and skid rather than rotate and that will create hotspots and wear spots which reduces their effectiveness and lifespan.

• 3 months later...

If I am not mistaken, Dave Thibeault suggested I use Dextran  Mercom...........as type F is difficult to find.

Mark

Hey Gunslinger, hope all is well.

For what it’s worth I always had problems using old F style fluid. On trips to South Bend from Cincinnati I would check the blower fluid after the first 150 miles. When using type F fluid I was not able to pull the dipstick out of the blower without the use of a multiple layer rag….it was just way too hot. I changed to Mobile synthetic trans fluid and could check the fluid at any time with my bare fingers pulling out the dip stick. I’ve had pretty close to no problems for the last twenty years.

14 hours ago, Nelson said:

For what it’s worth I always had problems using old F style fluid. On trips to South Bend from Cincinnati I would check the blower fluid after the first 150 miles. When using type F fluid I was not able to pull the dipstick out of the blower without the use of a multiple layer rag….it was just way too hot. I changed to Mobile synthetic trans fluid and could check the fluid at any time with my bare fingers pulling out the dip stick. I’ve had pretty close to no problems for the last twenty years.

So, evidently, the lower friction of the Mobil 1 ATF (synthetic) lowered the operating temperature of the supercharger, but still no slippage of the drive balls?  That's great news!

I'm just throwing the following out there for comment: Others have recommended B&M Trick Shift mineral ATF for Paxtons.  It is blue in color, so easy to recognize.  Both meet type F standards.  Pictures of the mineral & synthetic are below.

--Dwight

B&M Trick Shift ATF (1).jpg

B&M Trick Shift ATF (2).jpg

Yep we just discussed this 2 months ago and I went to the original blue B & M Trick-Shift fluid the original type, not the synthetic. as recommended on this forum. Be carful as you dont need much maybe 3 to 5 oz. I inserted a 1/8" plastic line connected to a large syringe i often use and sucked out what was in the and stared fress with the B+M.