Window Channel in Vent window Replacement?

Dunkin

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dunkin said:

Yes, I am not having a good time, rivet replacement is a real bitch, pardon the English!

Your English is perfect...the job is a real PITA! 

Sounds like you're replacing the vent window gasket. I used the shortest knife handle rivets Ace Hardware sold with pretty good luck. They're two part and you have to compress them together to work. Drilling out the original rivets was also a challenge. You have a lot more room to work if you remove the ventilator. Now if you're replacing the whiskers in the channel that holds the main window, that's another horror story.

Send a PM with your contact info and I'll be happy to help out. 

Edited by Desert Driver

• 2 months later...

I'm interested in buying and using an Avanti as a daily driver.  I also have been advised that the actual build quality is not really all that good -- door seals, window rattles, wind noise, etc..  Would a later model Avanti II a better prospect?  If that would be the case - which model?  Sunroof issues, is this a fixable issue?  I would certainly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Thom

my '80 has never leaked a drop! my '83 gives you a shower in a hard rain. "you pays your $$$$ and you takes your chances" in any number of ways with the avanti but i've been in love since 1977.