Avanti II Proportioning Valve post

Zedman

Hi All- I have posted an article in the SDC Technical forum relating to reconditioning information/resources for our Brake Proportioning Valves.  In view of a number of neglected Avanti's being restored, I felt the dearth of information relating to these valves would be worth rectifying. For your perusal  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/1943891-avanti-ii-brake-proportioning-valve-information

Regards, Steve.

IMG_20220513_122755.jpg

Looks much different than the valve on my 1971 (which I believe to be original to the car, which I've owned since the 1990's)

IMGP0397 resized.JPG

Also, I do not believe my valve is a proportioning valve, but rather it is a distribution block with a switch to light a dashboard warning light if either the front or rear brakes lose pressure. The valve has separate inlet and outlet ports and chambers for front and rear brake circuits, respectively, and a pressure switch between them that senses when pressure is lost in either circuit, illuminating a red warning light on the dashboard.

If anyone knows where I can find a direct replacement for my switch, please let me know.

IMGP0569a 600x450.JPG

Darn, misspoke again: I meant to say "If anyone knows where I can find a direct replacement for this distribution block, please let me know."

Hi Wayne- I have had a browse of the site I reported on. The fellow has a lot of stock apropos other makes of cars there and information provided is extremely good. I would give him a yell and see what transpires. I believe there were some changes to Avanti brakes back in the mid '70's but I've no detailed knowledge of it.

• 5 weeks later...

Reply for Wayne- The Kelsey-Hayes proportioning valve sold by Nostalgic autos is marked as the replacement for earlier units. This valve also comes with a poppet type pressure switch. I'd suggest having a look at it here.... https://www.nostalgicmotorcars.net/store/p18/1971-1985_Avanti_Brake_Combo_Valve_kit%2C_not_Studebaker_Avanti_.html#/

Wayne - You are correct. Yours is not a proportioning valve as there was no need for one with the Studebaker system. It is a brake failure warning switch which activates the warning light on your dash whenever there is a loss of pressure in either your front brakes lines or rears. It was used on AMC cars from '67-'74 and is no longer available to my knowledge. Muscle Car Research LLC, (Google them) offers a complete repair kit, their part # AMC-Valve-Kit-3 for $27.00. Your switch can only be repaired if the cylinder bore is not corroded. The pistons do not come with the kit so yours need to be in good shape and reused. A word of warning - when reassembling the nylon bushing it is very delicate. Just tighten by hand. It doesn't retain fluid so it doesn't  need to be leakproof. Hope this helps.

Randy, I found the kit you referenced here: https://musclecarresearch.com/valve-kit-wagner-amc-dist-switch

But, I don't think my distribution block has such parts as they show. The block does not come apart (cannot be disassembled)

I did find a distribution block at Jegs that looks very much like the original in my car, for '67-'69 Camaro/Firebird/TransAM/Chevy II. I did order one some years back and found several of the threaded holes for brake line fittings were larger than for the Avanti. The GM block may be usable with thread adapter fittings.

Regrettably i am getting too old and feeble to do much with my cars anymore, so my '71 may continue to sit.

shown below is the old block compared to the (new) GM block.  

IMGP0407 edited_320x131.JPG

IMGP0409 edited_320x118.JPG

IMGP0408 edited_320x182.JPG

IMGP0408 edited.JPG

On 6/13/2022 at 6:04 AM, WayneC said:

Thanks, I was hoping for a less-expensive (much simpler to implement) original replacement  valve.

Hi Wayne- I wondered whether this one might be a good alternative.... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-pv-2

I think the '67-'69 Camaro/Firebird/TransAM/Chevy II distribution block (with appropriate thread adapters where needed) is a better bolt-in possibility.