1963 Avanti VIN question

Blarson51

I have owned my 1963 Avanti R2 for 26 years.  From the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum, the Serial Number is R-3794, Body Number RQ-2805, and Engine Number RS-2179.

My problem is that on my Bill of Sale from 4/1996 the "Serial number" is designated "RO2805", and that number is used on my state registration documents as far back as 1994 as the car's VIN.  So, is the use of the body number as the VIN common, or should the Serial number on the frame rail have been used as the VIN?  Also, since the "R02805" number appears incorrect anyway - it is "RQ-2805" on the production order, would I need to try to have that corrected at the DMV for a future sale?  Another question:  I have attached a photo of the body tag that was present on the inner right fender when I bought it.  Is that a non-original tag and is that a problem? The engine and Serial number tags match the Production sheet.

IMG_1352.jpeg

IMG_1351.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpg

Use of the body number in place of the serial number is a common MISTAKE in the world of Studebaker Avantis....It happens, of course, because the actual serial number plate is buried down on the frame rail, and folks that are unaware of that assume the 'easy to find' body tag is the car's actual serial number.

As your State has accepted this 'goof', you're under no pressure to re-title your Avanti any time soon UNLESS you intend to re-sell it....In that event, the perspective buyer will probably realize what happened...and may not want to purchase until the matter is corrected at the registry.

PS...The non-original body tag 'looks' official and is not a problem.

Edited by mfg
Added PS.