Thoughts on frame maintenance

Footer

Any opinions or experience on running an Avanti through a car wash with high pressure undercarriage spray?  Wondering if it would help to keep the frame and hog troughs clean and shiny or if water will pool up and dissolve the undercarriage like a fizzie. Seems like it might help clean up some of the oil drips.  Mike

2 hours ago, Footer said:

Any opinions or experience on running an Avanti through a car wash with high pressure undercarriage spray?  Wondering if it would help to keep the frame and hog troughs clean and shiny or if water will pool up and dissolve the undercarriage like a fizzie. Seems like it might help clean up some of the oil drips.  Mike

I think it would be a good move....I don't think water is really the problem of rusted frames & hog troughs....What does them in is the aggressive nature of road salt used in certain areas of the country....Mild steel of any automotive thickness simply can't stand up to calcium chloride.

A thorough underside wash with clean water to remove salt & debris could only help preserve the frame.:)

• 3 months later...

I drilled 1/2" holes in my hog troughs,  flushed them out as best as I could, let them dry for a few weeks, and used Eastwood Internal Frame Coating on them. It has a long, flexible wand with a 360 degree spray pattern, to get top, bottom, and sides. I did this too on the frame at the front spring mount and the rear cross member. Then I plugged the holes with plastic plugs.

• 1 month later...

I recently grabbed an '85 with a shoddy underside (a lot is gone) and bought a new frame. I will be treating the replacement frame with something to ward off anything that eats metal. My main (Maine- ha ha) defense is, I won't be driving the car after Thanksgiving and before Tax Day. My second line of defense will be something like a POR-15/rust doctor application. My third line of defense is, I plan on running a belly pan on my car, at least aft of the firewall. That will cover the x-brace and the torque boxes with something like sheet aluminum.

I concur to those remarks that plain water isn't the real baddie here. Soap and water aren't bad things for metal as long as drying is a step not skipped.

16 hours ago, GeoffC312 said:

I recently grabbed an '85 with a shoddy underside (a lot is gone) and bought a new frame. I will be treating the replacement frame with something to ward off anything that eats metal. My main (Maine- ha ha) defense is, I won't be driving the car after Thanksgiving and before Tax Day. My second line of defense will be something like a POR-15/rust doctor application. My third line of defense is, I plan on running a belly pan on my car, at least aft of the firewall. That will cover the x-brace and the torque boxes with something like sheet aluminum.

I concur to those remarks that plain water isn't the real baddie here. Soap and water aren't bad things for metal as long as drying is a step not skipped.

I wondered if you bought the super nice Stude Avanti frame that was located in Bridgewater, Mass?

On 5/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, pantera928 said:

Clean and then paint everything you can see with 

por-15 or KBS

It's been my experience that "por-15" isn't really that good of a product. I've read and seen too many complaints about it peeling off and/or not adhering to the metal. The BEST product on the market right now, and one I have had very successful experience with, is RUSTBULLET. This stuff make por-15 look like a porous band-aid. It will adhere to the metal and will not flake off or peel. You can brush it on or spray it on and you can also sand it down. Check it out:   https://www.rustbullet.com/

On 5/7/2022 at 9:20 PM, pantera928 said:

I too have used POR-15 for well into the many year mark, I know I shot it on frames in 1985 and on many many projects and never had one failure. There are things i coated at least 25 years ago that still look great. I also will have to investigate the failures of that product. We painted the concrete entry way of a building I rented, and with all the walk in traffic it still is there.