Avanti Delamination!

mfg

On Avanti ll models, usually of the '70-'85 vintage, what are the two fiberglass body panels that should be checked occasionally for adhesive (bonding) breakdown?

I did not know that - now I do - thanks TRIVIA😳

The moonroofs Avanti Motors used were not designed strictly for the Avanti...they were adapted from another vehicle (Lincoln I believe)...and thus were neither fish nor fowl when it came to long term durability.  They would leak after a time if the glass warped or the roof fiberglass degraded or if the seals dried out.  Their drains were channeled into the hog troughs where the water would sit and cause rust.

Most advanced Avanti owners avoid moonroof equipped cars.  I know a guy (now passed away) who owned a body shop.  He actually had the roof off his Avanti sliced off and a NOS, solid roof grafted on to get away from the problems.  

I hate sunroofs/moonroofs because they leak, and, worst of all, take up essential headroom, especially in the back seat.

However, I once had a car with a moonroof that I liked, a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT.  This wasn't the elaborate apparatus that dropped and slid backward, taking up a couple inches of rear headroom.  It simply tilted up (hinged at front).  It could be closed, tilted up, or removed and stored in the trunk.  The seal was simple and easy to replace.

Of course, Fieros had a plastic (SMS?) body, so installation might not be too difficult in an Avanti for those who want a moonroof in their Avanti.

--Dwight.

6 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

The moonroofs Avanti Motors used were not designed strictly for the Avanti...they were adapted from another vehicle (Lincoln I believe)...and thus were neither fish nor fowl when it came to long term durability.  They would leak after a time if the glass warped or the roof fiberglass degraded or if the seals dried out.  Their drains were channeled into the hog troughs where the water would sit and cause rust.

Most advanced Avanti owners avoid moonroof equipped cars.  I know a guy (now passed away) who owned a body shop.  He actually had the roof off his Avanti sliced off and a NOS, solid roof grafted on to get away from the problems.  

Interesting as I have a sunroof and no leaks. Knock on wood! Dan Booth keeps telling me to buy a new roof without the sunroof from him. THe only issue is finding seals for it that even Dan does not have

2 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Interesting as I have a sunroof and no leaks. Knock on wood! Dan Booth keeps telling me to buy a new roof without the sunroof from him. THe only issue is finding seals for it that even Dan does not have

That's great your sunroof isn't leaking......The bonding has let go on many, many of these units causing a real mess inside the car!:(

2 hours ago, mfg said:

That's great your sunroof isn't leaking......The bonding has let go on many, many of these units causing a real mess inside the car!:(

So how do you prevent this?

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

So how do you prevent this?

Keep your eye on the roof area around the sunroof/moonroof for any sign of the fiberglass separating from the mechanism.

14 hours ago, mfg said:

Keep your eye on the roof area around the sunroof/moonroof for any sign of the fiberglass separating from the mechanism.

Interesting but not sure where to look as most things are covered by headliner and trim

4 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Interesting but not sure where to look as most things are covered by headliner and trim

The fiberglass roof panel will start to raise up in spots, breaking away from the inner construction.....easily visible from outside the car.

Thanks for this topic- I had no idea !.  My moonroof was found to be siliconed shut and still is.

1 hour ago, Zedman said:

Thanks for this topic- I had no idea !.  My moonroof was found to be siliconed shut and still is.

Yes, the fiberglass roof panel may have separated...on the other hand the leak may have occurred due to clogged moonroof drain tubes.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, mfg said:

The fiberglass roof panel will start to raise up in spots, breaking away from the inner construction.....easily visible from outside the car.

Interesting. I have none of that and my drains are clear. If it happens, I am sure I can repair it with modern panel bond.

15 hours ago, mfg said:

Yes, the fiberglass roof panel may have separated...on the other hand the leak may have occurred due to clogged moonroof drain tubes.

Thanks for the Heads up on this , I never had much of an opportunity to check the sunroof when I got the car- I will have a look when I get an opportunity( Its 60 miles away and in bits right now.)