Engine stamp decode help needed

Jred

So last time I was changing the belts on my 1970 Avanti II I noticed the power steering pulley was not lined up well. I made up some spacers to help the alignment but things are still not cop-esthetic. The belt rubs and squeals a tad when rpm’s drop. The alternator sits high and indents the hood insulation. My goal is to utilize the space a bit more efficiently and clean up engine bay with some new bracketry and mechanics(ps/alt). The original ac has been removed from the engine compartment and eventually I’d like to add that back in eventually. Went out the car to look up the engine casting numbers. 
The casting on the front is V03128BQ. 
From a past thread I see that the engine was built in Flint on March 12th, but I’m curious what the 8BQ signifies. 

Also, do this alternator bracket look “factory”. Strange the valve cover was milled down. 

I’ll gain access to the casting number on the back of the engine this weekend. 

46F00E5F-574E-4F85-9039-2DE866C35F78.jpeg

51BC1F59-EFDB-4C4E-AF73-89BB69BB6FCD.jpeg

23 hours ago, Jred said:

So last time I was changing the belts on my 1970 Avanti II I noticed the power steering pulley was not lined up well. I made up some spacers to help the alignment but things are still not cop-esthetic. The belt rubs and squeals a tad when rpm’s drop. The alternator sits high and indents the hood insulation. My goal is to utilize the space a bit more efficiently and clean up engine bay with some new bracketry and mechanics(ps/alt). The original ac has been removed from the engine compartment and eventually I’d like to add that back in eventually. Went out the car to look up the engine casting numbers. 
The casting on the front is V03128BQ. 
From a past thread I see that the engine was built in Flint on March 12th, but I’m curious what the 8BQ signifies. 

Also, do this alternator bracket look “factory”. Strange the valve cover was milled down. 

I’ll gain access to the casting number on the back of the engine this weekend. 

46F00E5F-574E-4F85-9039-2DE866C35F78.jpeg

51BC1F59-EFDB-4C4E-AF73-89BB69BB6FCD.jpeg

Looks to me like a custom installation...I wonder why?

22 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Interesting as the 350 in my 1980 has the alternator mounted totally differently.

Yes, my 70 (RQA0381) had the same.  That stalk the alternator is bolted to and the carved out fins on the valve cover were obviously cobbled  to allow that large York AC compressor to sit on the Passenger side

5 hours ago, silverstude said:

Yes, my 70 (RQA0381) had the same.  That stalk the alternator is bolted to and the carved out fins on the valve cover were obviously cobbled  to allow that large York AC compressor to sit on the Passenger side

Interesting. THe compressor on the drivers side looks much better in my opinion

Thanks for the pictures everyone. Gives me food for thought.

Im now considering a major overhaul on the engine compartment. Front and rear main seals need replacing and I'd like to make the engine unleaded friendly while adding some horse purrs...

4 hours ago, Jred said:

Thanks for the pictures everyone. Gives me food for thought.

Im now considering a major overhaul on the engine compartment. Front and rear main seals need replacing and I'd like to make the engine unleaded friendly while adding some horse purrs...

If you have the engine out and you want to gain decent HP, talk to a major cam supplier, like comp cams, about your needs and they'll suggest a cam that will work well in your application. If you are going to go to unleaded gas and you should, get a decent set of aluminum heads that will give you hardened valve seats, good valve size and increased compression before you modify your old heads.

Add a decent, inexpensive dual plane manifold and carb and enjoy an SBC that runs the way it should.

Or just buy a decent crate engine and drop it in.

Edited by Avanti83

6 hours ago, Skip Lackie said:

I could not find the 8BQ suffix in any Chevy engine number listing I have.  Those beginning with "8" all seem to be big blocks.  Are you sure about the number 8 in the serial number?

My 1969 Avanti 350 engine has engine code V0830 8BQ or 3BQ, I can't tell from the picture. But, still do not know what 8 or 3BQ stands for.

IMG_0336.jpeg

If your alternator is adjusted up so high as to be contacting the Hood, I'm assuming that there is plenty of adjustment available in a downward direction.  What I'm suggesting is you obtain another 'A' series Vee belt that is an inch or two inch shorter than the one you have. This way, you could lower the Alternator but still have enough tension on the belt to eliminate squeal. Perhaps pirvhase another belt at an industrial supplies outlet rather than at a automotive dealer so you can tell 'em you "want an A-40" (for example).