Avanti Call!

mfg

Before one of the first pre-production Studebaker Avantis arrived at the Studebaker Proving Ground for initial track testing, the truck hauling it halted, and a phone call was made back to Studebaker Corp in South Bend from a phone booth near Sturgis, Michigan....Why was this critical telephone call made?

1 hour ago, 1963r2 said:

I have no idea but did a cover or something similar come off revealing the car?

pb

That's a good thought, however it's not the reason for the call!

3 hours ago, 1963r2 said:

Last guess, the truck broke down.

pb

Makes sense...but that's not it.....

HINT!!.......MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT BOXING GLOVES???

Road rage wasn't invented yet.  Also, Will Smith wasn't born yet!😆

Another W.A.G.

The transport was headed to South Bend from the MFG plant in Ashtabula. The driver heard about the labor dispute at South Bend that saw Sherwood Egbert go fisticuffs with a striker. Not wanting to be roughed up, the driver called HQ to arrange safe passage into the proving grounds.

5 hours ago, Desert Driver said:

Another W.A.G.

The transport was headed to South Bend from the MFG plant in Ashtabula. The driver heard about the labor dispute at South Bend that saw Sherwood Egbert go fisticuffs with a striker. Not wanting to be roughed up, the driver called HQ to arrange safe passage into the proving grounds.

Well Desert Driver,     'YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD'!!!!:)..........WELL DONE!!

If Studebaker didn't have its back up against the wall, and all hope was riding on Avanti, Egbert probably would have held out longer for better terms. Previous management too often rolled over, allowing labor costs to get out of line. Both sides gave on their demands, and workers returned allowing Studebaker to debut Avanti in April, 1962. It's been said Egbert could hold his own and didn't hesitate to prove it!

On 4/24/2022 at 6:19 PM, mfg said:

Before one of the first pre-production Studebaker Avantis arrived at the Studebaker Proving Ground for initial track testing, the truck hauling it halted, and a phone call was made back to Studebaker Corp in South Bend from a phone booth near Sturgis, Michigan....Why was this critical telephone call made?

On 4/25/2022 at 12:52 PM, Desert Driver said:

Another W.A.G.

20 hours ago, mfg said:

Well Desert Driver,     'YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD'!!!!:)..........WELL DONE!!

Are you saying this pre production Avanti was assembled at MFG in Ashtabula and transported to the Studebaker Proving Grounds for testing?

19 hours ago, regnalbob said:

Studebaker Proving Grounds 

So as not to spread inaccurate information...the correct name for that place was Studebaker Proving GROUND.

3 hours ago, mfg said:

So as not to spread inaccurate information...the correct name for that place was Studebaker Proving GROUND.

Thank you for that information. I stand corrected.

In the meantime can you answer my question about all the inaccurate information you are spreading?

23 hours ago, regnalbob said:

Are you saying this pre production Avanti was assembled at MFG in Ashtabula and transported to the Studebaker Proving Grounds for testing?

IIRC, prior to Dec 1962 all Avanti bodies were assembled by MFG in Ashtabula and transported to South Bend. Because bodies were not being delivered in sufficient quantity (and quality), Studebaker built their own fiberglass assembly line at South Bend. This caused further delay and added costs.  Even with two plants cranking out bodies, it wasn't fast enough to satisfy impatient customers who bailed on their orders. 

4 hours ago, regnalbob said:

WOW!....regnalbob admitting he was wrong....I NEVER thought we'd hear that from him!!;)

Edited by mfg
spell check

4 hours ago, regnalbob said:

WOW!....regnalbob admitting he was wrong....I NEVER thought we'd hear that from him!!;)

Edited 50 minutes ago by mfg
spell check

Instead of the comments you could just answer my original question.

2 hours ago, regnalbob said:

spell check

5 hours ago, Desert Driver said:

IIRC, prior to Dec 1962 all Avanti bodies were assembled by MFG in Ashtabula and transported to South Bend. Because bodies were not being delivered in sufficient quantity (and quality), Studebaker built their own fiberglass assembly line at South Bend. This caused further delay and added costs.  Even with two plants cranking out bodies, it wasn't fast enough to satisfy impatient customers who bailed on their 

Desert Driver..the answer you gave is exactly correct..The call was made to avoid a confrontation at the Proving Ground entrance......

Pay no attention to regnalbob....he goes out of his way to pick my trivia questions apart...... A very sad character!

Edited by mfg

2 hours ago, regnalbob said:

spell check

Here's my answer to you Bob.....YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!

17 hours ago, mfg said:

Desert Driver..the answer you gave is exactly correct..The call was made to avoid a confrontation at the Proving Ground entrance......

Pay no attention to regnalbob....he goes out of his way to pick my trivia questions apart...... A very sad character!

Here's my answer to you Bob.....YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!

You cant answer my question so you think it is a good idea to belittle me. 

Forum members don't need you to tell them what to do.

My question did not involve the phone call.

Your question, the reply from Desert Driver and you agreeing with Desert Driver do not answer my question.

Again, are you saying this pre production Avanti was assembled at MFG in Ashtabula and transported to the Studebaker Proving Ground for track testing?

Edited by regnalbob
added text

7 hours ago, regnalbob said:

Here's my answer to you Bob......YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!

My question did not involve the phone call.

Your question certainly didn't involve the phone call....it involves where the pre- production Avanti originated from...which has NOTHING to do with my original trivia question.....

If you want to know where that Avanti was sent from, why not post YOUR OWN trivia question?

Edited by mfg

On 4/27/2022 at 8:57 PM, mfg said:

Pay no attention to regnalbob....he goes out of his way to pick my trivia questions apart....A very sad character!

Edited by mfg