4-speed T-10 Shifter. Need help.

Leo B

Hi! Im not good with T-10 Gearbox and need help. I think I have original 4-speed Gearbox which has letters T10-7B and T10B-1. The gearbox itself seems to work ok, but shifter not. Shifter goes reverse too easy and even possible to put 1 and R same time. Also the shifter seems to be very loose. The spring does not look original to me (even two ones and very loose) I see also that the retainer has been treated badly with screwdriver or something like that.
Where to get new shifter parts?
Is it even better to buy Hurst Shifter Kit or ...?

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG

The Hurst is a much better shifter if you can find one.  If you want to stay original, I have a spare Stude shifter. The stock ones were never great. There were 2 redesign according to parts manual. FWIW. I have heard that the Stude shifters are essentially the same Ansen as used in Corvettes and other cars of the era.

When buying the Hurst, make sure you get the shift rods for REAR mounting on the transmission. That should be kit 373 3157. You may need to fab a shift handle to fit in the existing opening. I have heard that some just cutoff the Hurst handle and weld the stock handle in its place.

Good ol' Dave Thiebault makes a chrome handle that is round and bolts on to the Hurst shifter. It looks completely stock from inside the car. 

To put a Hurst shifter into an Avanti you either need the complete kit FOR AVANTI or modify the console yourself. There WILL be interference if not. On the Hurst supplied kit there is a metal cover for the console where you have to cut a clearance slot for the outermost rod. Also, you will need to cut a hole for the access to put a socket on the larger mounting bolt.

When I saw the photo in Mike Foat's blog, I know where the problem is. In my shifter there is wrong spring + missing some parts. There have to be correct spring + housing + adjusting nut which does not allow the shaft to go thru all levers to the end reverse lever easy.
The spring has to work like "progressive" spring which allows shaft to move smoothly between 1-2 and 3-4 and stronger resistance to the end R.
Easy to see the whats missing if you look my previous photo and of course Parts Catalogue (pg 80).

On 4/25/2022 at 3:49 PM, Leo B said:

When I saw the photo in Mike Foat's blog, I know where the problem is. In my shifter there is wrong spring + missing some parts. There have to be correct spring + housing + adjusting nut which does not allow the shaft to go thru all levers to the end reverse lever easy.
The spring has to work like "progressive" spring which allows shaft to move smoothly between 1-2 and 3-4 and stronger resistance to the end R.
Easy to see the whats missing if you look my previous photo and of course Parts Catalogue (pg 80).

Speaking with Dave a few years ago,  he mentioned the cost of new Hurst Competition Plus shifters, customized for Avanti installations, was getting pretty high.....but he also thought that the Stude factory shifter, restored to good working condition, did a good job

Thanks mfg.😊
Like 64studeavanti wrote, "I've heard that the Studen's transmissions are basically the same Ansenes as the Corvettes and other cars of the era." I found this. Looks the same as the Avanti -63. https://www.zip-corvette.com/57-58-4-spd-shifter-w-knob.html
This is also interesting if you accept anything other than originality. https://www.zip-corvette.com/59-62-4-spd-shifter-w-knob.html

I can’t speak for the Avanti shifter but I replaced the stock shifter in my 64 Daytona R1 with a Hurst and it was a big improvement. That was back in 1973.  If one of you could come up with a time machine we could go back and load up on a lot of fabulous cars and parts that we can only read about now. Let us know how the progress is going.  Mike