dashpot installation

Alan Blalock

I have a 1964 Avanti R1, and it came without a dashpot. I am presently trying to figure out how to install this on the car. I purchased it after I was having stall problems on deceleration(sp) I looked in my repair and maintenance manual and online but cannot find an image or satisfactory explanation of how and where to install it. Dows anyone know where I may find help? Thank you in advance. Alan Blalock

18 minutes ago, Kodjo said:

My English is not great. Could you please explain what a dashpot is?

I just looked it up on "The Google"  -  it's a REAL thing!   You learn something New every day😐

If you purchase a reproduction dashpot from a Stude vendor, it comes mounted onto a factory style bracket......All you do is remove the left front carb hold down nut and install the dashpot..... It lines itself up...Then re-install the hold down nut.

The Avanti shop manual explains how to adjust it.

Also, it requires a vacuum source. (from intake manifold)

Edited by mfg

If the car has air conditioning and / or an automatic transmission, then the automatic and AC loads the engine variably. The Dashpot/Kicker ensures that the engine idle speed changes taking into account the load variation. ( the effect is in automatic, for example, when you come to traffic lights and the revs fall quickly). Thus, the R2 4 Speed without Air Condition does not need a kicker.
Are my toughts correct?🤔
Edit:
I found this from blog. ://www.carburetor-blog.com/carburetor-dashpot/

Edited by Leo B
Blog link

9 hours ago, mfg said:

These carb dashpots are also known as 'throttle kickers'.

Yep, now I remember - the Cops confiscated mine!😆

12 hours ago, Leo B said:

If the car has air conditioning and / or an automatic transmission, then the automatic and AC loads the engine variably. The Dashpot/Kicker ensures that the engine idle speed changes taking into account the load variation. ( the effect is in automatic, for example, when you come to traffic lights and the revs fall quickly). Thus, the R2 4 Speed without Air Condition does not need a kicker.
Are my toughts correct?🤔
Edit:
I found this from blog. ://www.carburetor-blog.com/carburetor-dashpot/

Not really Leo.....Studebaker offered a kit which increased engine idle speed for air conditioned cars when the A/C was turned on......however, the throttle kicker (dashpot) functions differently...It is meant to 'kick' the idle speed up when the engine is about to stall (for various reasons, usually in real hot weather)...The sudden loss of vacuum in a stalling engine causes the dashpot plunger to extend, thereby pushing the throttle open a bit, and eliminating a possible engine stall.

An R2 , 4 speed Avanti benefits from this device as much as an R1 automatic would!:)

28 minutes ago, mfg said:

Not really Leo.....Studebaker offered a kit which increased engine idle speed for air conditioned cars when the A/C was turned on......however, the throttle kicker (dashpot) functions differently...It is meant to 'kick' the idle speed up when the engine is about to stall (for various reasons, usually in real hot weather)...The sudden loss of vacuum in a stalling engine causes the dashpot plunger to extend, thereby pushing the throttle open a bit, and eliminating a possible engine stall.

An R2 , 4 speed Avanti benefits from this device as much as an R1 automatic would!:)

Thanks for clarifying 👍

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Now i do uderstand what a dashpot does! I would like to have one on my Avanti II with a Chevy 350. @Gunslingerstates Edelbrock sells dashpots. I'm going to look for one!

I don’t believe Edelbrock calls them dashpots or throttle kickers…they call idle or a/c compensators or some such name.  It’s been a while since I’ve used anything from Edelbrock…great stuff BTW…but I believe they have brackets for them as well.

6 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I don’t believe Edelbrock calls them dashpots or throttle kickers…they call idle or a/c compensators or some such name.  It’s been a while since I’ve used anything from Edelbrock…great stuff BTW…but I believe they have brackets for them as well.

Yes, to be clear the a/c compensators step up the idle speed for as long as the a/c compressor is running..........The Stude/Avanti 'dashpots' or 'throttle kickers' only come into play momentarily, increasing idle speed when the unit senses a lost vacuum signal....occurring when the engine is running at a very low RPM, on the verge of stalling.

I purchased one of these about three years ago from Dave Thibeault for my '63 R2....The original had a cracked diaphragm, and ceased to function......The replacement dashpot I purchased from Dave fit perfectly.... and works just fine!:)