Avanti Power!

mfg

The base 5.7 liter engine, which came standard in the 2001 Avanti, was factory rated at ......?..... horsepower.

1) 265......2) 305.......3) 340.....or 4) 370

Edited by mfg
Spelling!

5 hours ago, mfg said:

The base 5.7 liter engine, which came standard in the 2001 Avanti, was factory rated at ......?..... horsepower.

1) 265......2) 305.......3) 340.....or 4) 370

Well, I was always told 320 so rather than go with none of the above, I will say 340.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

It was 305 but it didn’t take much to bump the power up noticeably.  

It shouldn't as that is a Chevy 350 and A lot of power can be gotten out of it easily unless it is an L-48 like the late 70s-1980 Avanti's

The 2001-2004 Avantis didn’t use the older Chevy small block…they used the LS-1 which is actually about 347 cubic inches.  Reprogram the computer…change the mass airflow sensor…add a cold air induction kit and you’ve got a engine that acts nice and tame until you give it throttle…all without a lot of financial investment or doing anything substantive or irreversible to the engine.

39 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

The 2001-2004 Avantis didn’t use the older Chevy small block…they used the LS-1 which is actually about 347 cubic inches.  Reprogram the computer…change the mass airflow sensor…add a cold air induction kit and you’ve got a engine that acts nice and tame until you give it throttle…all without a lot of financial investment or doing anything substantive or irreversible to the engine.

I like the LS-1. Wish my 1980 had that engine with a 200-4R

4 hours ago, pantera928 said:

well then 305. I have spec sheets that show otherwise

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

It was 305 but it didn’t take much to bump the power up noticeably.  

You gents are both CORRECT!