63 Avanti Gray Paint

James R-3890

I have a 63 Avanti R2 that i am planning on repainting the original color (P 6335 Avanti Gray) rather than the red that it was repainted with in the past.  I have searched and can't seem to find a match in modern paint suppliers?  Would anyone know a cross reference for the P 6335 paint color for my car?

Thank you!

Edited by James R

• James R-3890 changed the title to 63 Avanti Gray Paint
19 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Contact TCP Global. They have formulas for the paint and you can get in enamel. Lacquer or urethane single coat or bc/cc.

I did reach out to TCP this morning and got no joy.  They looked up what they had and said they would have to talk to the paint room and call me back later with an answer.  So we are still looking for the answer.

2 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

One small point: From my limited experience some painters have their preferences for mfr of paint and may not accept TCP Global.  You might want to check with your painter first.

--Dwight

Thanks for the tip Dwight!  I do plan on doing that, but i am just trying to get my bearings first.  Overthink, etc. is what i'm doing maybe.  Just want to make sure when i get there i'm pleased that i've done all that i'm able to make it right.

20 hours ago, James R said:

I have a 63 Avanti R2 that i am planning on repainting the original color (P 6335 Avanti Gray) rather than the red that it was repainted with in the past.  I have searched and can't seem to find a match in modern paint suppliers?  Would anyone know a cross reference for the P 6335 paint color for my car?

Thank you!

I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T SAY THIS..!!

But you know 'Avanti Gray' was kind of a 'band aid' color Studebaker came up with when they ran into problems with 'Avanti Black'....

If  obtaining 'Avanti Gray' becomes to much of a hassle, why not block out the body of your Avanti to perfection,  and refinish it in 'Avanti Black'?

You won't have any problem obtaining that color, and a black Avanti, when done up properly, looks outstanding!...Good luck...Ed

1 minute ago, mfg said:

I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T SAY THIS..!!

But you know 'Avanti Gray' was kind of a 'band aid' color Studebaker came up with when they ran into problems with 'Avanti Black'....

If  obtaining 'Avanti Gray' becomes to much of a hassle, why not block out the body of your Avanti to perfection,  and refinish it in 'Avanti Black'?

You won't have any problem obtaining that color, and a black Avanti, when done up properly, looks outstanding!...Good luck...Ed

Haha. I understand that! And I do agree that black looks great.  I'm going to run down this rabbit hole for a bit longer before I commit to a different color.  Currently the car is red and it doesn't look too bad in red and is alot cheaper to leave it that way. But I'd like to get it back to original as possible so I dont lay awake at night knowing its not.  

Thank you!

Black doesn't show the lines of an Avanti, plus you have to wash it after every drive to keep it looking good.  Plus, it's hot!   Although I love red I personally like to see a variety of colors at Studebaker meets.  I have had two Avanti-Gray Avantis and the color looks great to me.

--Dwight

BTW, doesn't your local automotive paint store have a palate of each colors from light to dark to find a close match from.  Maybe TCP Global does also.  Maybe borrow a gas filler door from someone who has a gray avanti.

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

PPG Shopline 32685

Crosses over to a Ford color.  This is for basecoat. you still have to get a good (expensive) clear! The shopline series is slightly less expensive, but it matches better than the more expensive DBC line of PPG paint. 

3 hours ago, brad said:

PPG Shopline 32685

Crosses over to a Ford color.  This is for basecoat. you still have to get a good (expensive) clear! The shopline series is slightly less expensive, but it matches better than the more expensive DBC line of PPG paint. 

I use shopline all the time with no issues

6 hours ago, Leo B said:

My favourite. Avanti Gray. Looks sporty 😎👍

mine-gray.jpg

Is this Avanti owned by Jack Rodhouse of Mass?...He owns one of the nicest 'Avanti Gray' 1963 Studebaker Avantis in the U.S.

5 hours ago, mfg said:

Is this Avanti owned by Jack Rodhouse of Mass?...He owns one of the nicest 'Avanti Gray' 1963 Studebaker Avantis in the U.S.

Hi Mfg, This is my R2. 😊

12 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Well, that means he thinks yours looks just as nice😉

Thank you Mfg and Pantera928. The Avanti Gray is very special because it has Blue and Lavender shade. Depend of the light and angle how you look the paint.

7 hours ago, Leo B said:

Thank you Mfg and Pantera928. The Avanti Gray is very special because it has Blue and Lavender shade. Depend of the light and angle how you look the paint.

Thats very interesting. I did get a PPG code that I was told may need some small adjustments.  Do you have any info to narrow down the complete mix or number?

Thank you for the info!

58 minutes ago, James R-3890 said:

Thats very interesting. I did get a PPG code that I was told may need some small adjustments.  Do you have any info to narrow down the complete mix or number?

Thank you for the info!

I'm sorry, but I don't have a color recipe. I bought this car last year. The car was painted more than ten years ago. It is easy to find areas where the original paint is visible and it is 99% the same. I also have an original color scheme that is very similar.
You find it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174327964936?hash=item2896c1a508:g:XgwAAOSwzvde88Tt

6 minutes ago, Leo B said:

I'm sorry, but I don't have a color recipe. I bought this car last year. The car was painted more than ten years ago. It is easy to find areas where the original paint is visible and it is 99% the same. I also have an original color scheme that is very similar.
You find it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174327964936?hash=item2896c1a508:g:XgwAAOSwzvde88Tt

Thank you! I appreciate all of the help!

JB

Hi James R-3890. I found this from SDC-forum. Read more.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/34014-avanti-gray-paint

Hope this helps.

The photo I took is very close reality. Note that Avanti Gray is not pure silver gray (like Mercedes)
My opinon is that this one is also correct. In a daylight of course lighter. Photo by Tim Costello.

tim-costello-mcacn.jpg

Edited by Leo B

14 minutes ago, Leo B said:

Hi James R-3890. I found this from SDC-forum. Read more.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/34014-avanti-gray-paint

Hope this helps.

Everything helps!  Thank you again, you've been a great help!

Yes, that one at MCACN is one I painted. It is the same formula from the code I posted earlier.

Edited by brad