Wanted: R2 Carb or R3 Air Box <Carb found!>

James R-3890

I have an 1963 R2 currently collecting parts to get it on the road again.  The SC has been off for several years (i got the car with it and everything associated with it in a crate), so i have it being rebuilt as i don't know it's status.  After further inspection i do not have the proper carb for the SC.  I have two choices 1. get the proper carb (carter 3507s, 3588s, or 3725s), or 2. an air box from an R3.  I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has either the proper carb or an air box i would be interested.

Edited by James R
punctuation (i went to public schools)

Everyone likes the look of the R3 carb box, and there are a number of R2s out there with an R3 carb box.  Once upon a time Lionel Stone made them.

Short story:  Back in the late 1960's I had a '64 Avanti with a crate R3 engine (B86).  I was in the USAF and took it to a local SDC chapter meet.  One guy tried to buy my R3 carb box.  After I said no, he said: "You don't need that!"

--Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Everyone likes the look of the R3 carb box, and there are a number of R2s out there with an R3 carb box.  Once upon a time Lionel Stone made them.

Short story:  Back in the late 1960's I had a '64 Avanti with a crate R3 engine (B86).  I was in the USAF and took it to a local SDC chapter meet.  One guy tried to buy my R3 carb box.  After I said no, he said: "You don't need that!"

--Dwight

I like the idea of moving away from a sealed carb....The air box, as you know, is quite an improvement in underhood safety.

PS...love to hear more about your '64 with the B86 R3 engine!

Edited by mfg
R3 comment added

Thank you!  I love the stories and am still on the look out for an air box.  I did find a carb (3588S) and plan on using it in the original configuration until an air box is found.  A little background on my R2 it was delivered and sold originally around San Carlos CA.  Involved in an earthquake/slide event with no damage.  Sold to someone who moved it to OH around 1979.  My father and I purchased it in 2008 for he and my mother.  Dad worked on it for a short time before mother got ill and ultimately passed in 2016. After that dad lost interest in it and it set.  I got it back from dad last year and am getting it back on the road.  He is getting very excited about it again and that's what I wanted.  My deal when buying it off him was that he will keep it at his house and enjoy driving it until he is done driving (He is 82 now)  once he is done with ill bring it to my house and finish whatever it needs. Sorry for such a long story. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:44 PM, mfg said:

Sounds like you've done your homework!!..........I like the air box idea........I don't have one on my R2.......but I wish I did!!:D

I have some info on a vendor that is planning a re-casting of the air boxes late this year.  I am planning on keeping in touch with them until then and if they actually do it and they are correct.  I am going to try to pick one up even if i have to live in the garage for awhile after.

43 minutes ago, Jbrobe69 said:

Thank you!  I love the stories and am still on the look out for an air box.  I did find a carb (3588S) and plan on using it in the original configuration until an air box is found.  A little background on my R2 it was delivered and sold originally around San Carlos CA.  Involved in an earthquake/slide event with no damage.  Sold to someone who moved it to OH around 1979.  My father and I purchased it in 2008 for he and my mother.  Dad worked on it for a short time before mother got ill and ultimately passed in 2016. After that dad lost interest in it and it set.  I got it back from dad last year and am getting it back on the road.  He is getting very excited about it again and that's what I wanted.  My deal when buying it off him was that he will keep it at his house and enjoy driving it until he is done driving (He is 82 now)  once he is done with ill bring it to my house and finish whatever it needs. Sorry for such a long story. 

That's a truly heartfelt 'Avanti story...Thanks for sharing, and very sorry for the loss of your mother...Ed

19 minutes ago, mfg said:

That's a truly heartfelt 'Avanti story...Thanks for sharing, and very sorry for the loss of your mother...Ed

I appreciate that! But so far this has turned out to be a great thing for my father and myself!

• James R-3890 changed the title to Wanted: R2 Carb or R3 Air Box <Carb found!>
15 hours ago, John Brissette said:

James............I see you reside in Kentucky as do I. Where exactly in Kentucky...........I live in Louisville and have a '63 Avanti  R1 I've had for 50 years.

John

John,

I'm just north of Louisville in Henry County. My 63 R2 has been in my family since 2008.  My father purchased it then with the intention of restoring it but several things got him preoccupied and he eventually lost interest.  I got it off of him last year before it got an LS swap by one of my brothers.  Haha