Water on carpet after a rain storm

pantera928

Well, I noticed dampness on the carpet right where it meets the kick panel on the passenger side after a rain storm last night. Nothing above that point.

My A pillars are great so not from there. Any other likely places to look?

I haven't tried anything yet. Just noticed it today after the storm last night.

Ideas?

The air intake on the cowl drains down the area behind the kick panels to the hog troughs.  You need to make sure the area where the floor and the fiberglass behind the kick panel meets is sealed and the cavities are clear of debris. Also make sure your hog trough drains are clear. 

There are a few other potential leaks. Stan Gundry's book "What the Shop Manual Won't Tell You" has a section on keeping the interior dry.

Edited by 64studeavanti

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

The air intake on the cowl drains down the area behind the kick panels to the hog troughs.  You need to make sure the area where the floor and the fiberglass behind the kick panel meets is sealed and the cavities are clear of debris. Also make sure your hog trough drains are clear. 

There are a few other potential leaks. Stan Gundry's book "What the Shop Manual Won't Tell You" has a section on keeping the interior dry.

Not sure how i would get a copy of that book. Any ideas?

google is your friend; available on amazon and other places. excellent thing to have when you ask a lot of avanti questions!

11 hours ago, arkus said:

google is your friend; available on amazon and other places. excellent thing to have when you ask a lot of avanti questions!

I have already done a google search to no avail including Amazon

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

I have already done a google search to no avail including Amazon

Old address from Avanti Magazine, but if you Google it you'll find some info on Stan and also a phone number. He appears to be in his 80's currently.

Stan Gundry
4142 Burton St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546

25 minutes ago, Avanti83 said:

Old address from Avanti Magazine, but if you Google it you'll find some info on Stan and also a phone number. He appears to be in his 80's currently.

Stan Gundry
4142 Burton St. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546

I found a phone number and an email address. Sent an email last night and it bounced back. Will try to call later. Thanks

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

AFAIK, the street address is current. I recently ordered and received some serial number plate decals.

Just got off the phone with Stan. Nice guy and fun to talk to.

22 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Well, I noticed dampness on the carpet right where it meets the kick panel on the passenger side after a rain storm last night. Nothing above that point.

My A pillars are great so not from there. Any other likely places to look?

I haven't tried anything yet. Just noticed it today after the storm last night.

Ideas?

A pillars? Seems most likely although they are "good".

I remember back when I was dating, (MANY years ago!), it rained heavily while we were inside a local night club....When my lady friend got back into my '63 Avanti, (NOT the '63 I own now!), she placed her feet into about an inch of water!!.......For some reason she was never very impressed with Studebakers!!!:o :D

13 minutes ago, mfg said:

about an inch of water!!...... :D

WoW!  25.4mm!!!!!!😁