Seat Covers

paul shuffleburg

1 hour ago, paul shuffleburg said:

Yes, but I can't find anyone around here that can do them until summer.

Well, it is not hard as these are fairly simple seats and I bet there are tutorials on you tube.

the only thing I recommend is using good quality hog ring pliers, not the cheap crap. 
my good ones have lasted me over 30 years and still work great.

Rear seat is pretty straight forward. There are steel rods between the foam sections that the covers attach to with hog rings. Then, you attach around the sides with more hog rings. Front seats are a little more difficult. There are also rods between the foam sections.  Tack strips are attached to the seat bottom and seat back to staple to. Hidem welt is used to "hide" the staples. Additionally, the front seat covers are glued to the bottom of the fiberglass shell. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow of how the seats are put together.

If you have the later "thick" seats, the tack strip is attached to the reinforcement that runs along the top and sides of the seat back.

Hopefully, your foam is in good condition.

39 minutes ago, mfg said:

No doubt those covers weren't cheap....no offense, but I'd definitely keep looking for a 'pro' to install them....Ed:)

If you lived close by, I would do it. Just had to remove the covers on my Recaros to fix a broken frame piece.

Kodjo, A guy fairly local had a set of regal black seat covers that he had ordered years ago and never installed.

64studeavanti, I'll have to visit some upholstery shops and see where I can get said staple gun. Thanks

3 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

The staples are fairly shallow. I used a pneumatic stapler, but I imagine an electric one would work as well.

I have used both and no issues. Shallow staples can probably be gotten at most hardware stores or Amazon

9 minutes ago, paul shuffleburg said:

I found someone to install my seat covers. After he talked about steaming and stretching

I'm glad I won't be attempting it myself.

Those things are pretty unforgiving if there's a mistake....and since you don't do it every day............;)

Make sure the metal stays are in the pockets. Many seat covers try to get by with a rope sewn in, and it just doesn't work.