Installing quick steering arms

pantera928

10 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Does your '83 have the older Ross steering box, or the later forklift box?

--Dwight

They both have the later forklift type.

Somewhere along the line, someone tagged the 'post Ross' Avanti steering box to be a forklift steering box.

Although I guess it's possible, I always kind of doubted the steering box in my Avanti was originally designed for a forklift.

Does anyone know any more about this later Avanti steering box than I do?

13 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Does your '83 have the older Ross steering box, or the later forklift box?

--Dwight

I am assuming the "forklift" box as it is a 1980 and original. About 4.5 turns lock to lock

I had inquired about getting the quick steering arms installed on my '76 and was told by a couple of good Avanti guys that they made the steering more "twitchy", not really improving the steering/handling.

1 hour ago, plwindish said:

I had inquired about getting the quick steering arms installed on my '76 and was told by a couple of good Avanti guys that they made the steering more "twitchy", not really improving the steering/handling.

Paul

I have heard that as well and also heard that in the mid-70s, they changed to another steering box that does not have as quick of a ratio as the older ones and that these arms brought the steering closer to original. Also that Blake started selling the cars with the quick steering arms in the 80s for that reason.

Like I said, I have "heard" all of this and have no first hand experience nor do I know if our two cars have the same steering box as I have never been able to pin down exactly what year the boxes were changed.

Have I left you more confused?🤣

There is an  adjustment screw on the steering box to help tighten or loosen the steering.  One shop adjusted mine.  A year or two later, the car seemed to wander in the lane while driving.  I had it checked out and the bolts mounting the steering box to the frame had loosened, once tightened up, it handled just fine.

43 minutes ago, plwindish said:

There is an  adjustment screw on the steering box to help tighten or loosen the steering.  One shop adjusted mine.  A year or two later, the car seemed to wander in the lane while driving.  I had it checked out and the bolts mounting the steering box to the frame had loosened, once tightened up, it handled just fine.

I have adjusted that screw before and it is typical for many other cars I work on although this is the first time i have seen it on the side nd not the top. Also I have heard about the bolts coming loose. Mine are tight fortunately 

1 hour ago, plwindish said:

I've also had those bolts come loose...Not on Avantis, but on other Studes....I always check those now!;)

33 minutes ago, mfg said:

I've also had those bolts come loose...Not on Avantis, but on other Studes....I always check those now!;)

Yep, Dan Booth warned me about that issue