Installing quick steering arms

pantera928

I bought some quick steering arms for my 1980 Avanti after being told by others that some time in the mid 70s that they used a forklift steering box which did not have as close of a ratio as the original steering box did and that later Blake built the cars with these arms already installed. Who knew?

Well, the instructions sound nice and easy but after trying to drive the old arms out of 3 hours, i gave up before i totally destroyed the old nuts and arms.

The instructions said to tap out the old arms with a brass hammer. Well, guess again. I tried using a sledge with a brass hammer held against the nut and the arm with the nut loose and it never budged. I put it all back together before i reached the point of no return. 

Any of you done this and know an easier way?

I like to use an impact or air hammer gun.....(of course, it also requires an air compressor).....The 'shock' from the successive raps from the air hammer usually drives out almost any seized item!:o

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

My experience has been to use a hydraulic press. They are really in there good. 

Same experience here. IAC I reverse the nut and turn it down flush with the top of the thread.

Thanks for the replies. I have air and a press but was trying to do it on the car without disassembly like the instructions show. I guess I may need to wait until I rebuild my front end, if ever since it is not in need.

2 hours ago, mfg said:

I like to use an impact or air hammer gun.....(of course, it also requires an air compressor).....The 'shock' from the successive raps from the air hammer usually drives out almost any seized item!:o

Have you tried using a air hammer with the front suspension still on the car to do this job? Not sure how I would do that.

I have all of the tools to do most anything as I used to own a auto repair business many moons ago.

1 hour ago, pantera928 said:

Have you tried using a air hammer with the front suspension still on the car to do this job? Not sure how I would do that.

I have all of the tools to do most anything as I used to own a auto repair business many moons ago.

Yes, that's what I meant...no suspension disassembly required.:)

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Yes, that's what I meant...no suspension disassembly required.:)

Well, when I feel like trying again, I could try. Where do you suggest placing an air hammer? I do not want to destroy anything if it doesn't do the job.

7 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Well, when I feel like trying again, I could try. Where do you suggest placing an air hammer? I do not want to destroy anything if it doesn't do the job.

Well, I'd remove the steering arm retaining nut, then reverse it and screw it back on till its flush with the threaded end of arm...Then I'd use a air chisel bit with a round, flat, blunt end and hammer away.......That way if somehow the arm still doesn't move, you can remove the nut, chase the threads, and then replace the nut. (or perhaps install a new nut....Good luck with this!.....Ed:)

27 minutes ago, mfg said:

Well, I'd remove the steering arm retaining nut, then reverse it and screw it back on till its flush with the threaded end of arm...Then I'd use a air chisel bit with a round, flat, blunt end and hammer away.......That way if somehow the arm still doesn't move, you can remove the nut, chase the threads, and then replace the nut. (or perhaps install a new nut....Good luck with this!.....Ed:)

Thanks. I will think about it and if the mood hits me, try again.

RQB3263/81/305    I discussed this here a while back....check my posts and pics i think...... ill make it easy for you.....air hammer/rivet gun/WD40 or PB Blaster.....10 minutes....and a ball joint removal tool from Harbor Freight......BILL in Florida

4 hours ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305    I discussed this here a while back....check my posts and pics i think...... ill make it easy for you.....air hammer/rivet gun/WD40 or PB Blaster.....10 minutes....and a ball joint removal tool from Harbor Freight......BILL in Florida

Thanks. A ball joint removal tool? I have all of those items but not sure how I would use a ball joint removal tool on the steering arm

4 hours ago, wildfelr said:

They must have purged the posts at the start of the year. I cannot see anything you posted before January 2022

I drive my '83 Avanti a lot...and my '85 sometimes.....The'85 has the short steering arms. (factory)

In my opinion, there isn't much difference in steering 'quickness' between the two Avantis.

18 minutes ago, mfg said:

I drive my '83 Avanti a lot...and my '85 sometimes.....The'85 has the short steering arms. (factory)

In my opinion, there isn't much difference in steering 'quickness' between the two Avantis.

Interesting observation. Makes me think I should give this up. Especially since I cannot figure out how to use my air hammer without damaging things..

My car only has 26,000 original miles on it and it is tight, no slop

HE who said there is not much difference with the quick steer arms is correct.... not much... a little .... so go ahead and change them....When using an air hammer etc do not reinstall the nut  and hammer on the nut.....hammer directly on the threaded end......the ball joint removal tool puts mega pressure on the threaded end of the ball joint with the nut removed.... then usually one good smack with a hammerand it will pop loose with no damage so it can be reinstalled....... do not use a"pickle fork" ball joint remover.....worse comes to worse a little heat from a propane torch on the out side boss where the arm  goes in will do it ....do not hear the arm.....this would be extreme ......I cant imagine any taper fit standing up to an air hammer very long...... my most difficult was 2 min..... clean and install new arms with anti-seize ....someone someday will thank you.....pull the nut very tight ....BILL IN FLORIDA

1 hour ago, wildfelr said:

HE who said there is not much difference with the quick steer arms is correct.... not much... a little .... so go ahead and change them....When using an air hammer etc do not reinstall the nut  and hammer on the nut.....hammer directly on the threaded end......the ball joint removal tool puts mega pressure on the threaded end of the ball joint with the nut removed.... then usually one good smack with a hammerand it will pop loose with no damage so it can be reinstalled....... do not use a"pickle fork" ball joint remover.....worse comes to worse a little heat from a propane torch on the out side boss where the arm  goes in will do it ....do not hear the arm.....this would be extreme ......I cant imagine any taper fit standing up to an air hammer very long...... my most difficult was 2 min..... clean and install new arms with anti-seize ....someone someday will thank you.....pull the nut very tight ....BILL IN FLORIDA

Thanks Bill

When the pine pollen decreases, I will try again. Did you ever get your driver's window fixed?

5 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Well, now I dug further and found posts back to April of 2021. Must have been before that time.

FYI - this particular Forum has 55 pages - goes Waaaay back (2005) - keep trying!😍

Edited by wdaly

6 minutes ago, wdaly said:

FYI - this particular Forum has 55 pages - goes Waaaay back (2005) - keep trying!😍

I know. I was just searching through posts by wildfeir when I clicked on that name.

Edited by pantera928

RQB 3263/81/305....HERE IS PIC  OF BALL JOINT REMOVAL TOOL FROM Harbor Freight probably about 10$ it worked well...

not yet on the window...it goes to trim shop tomorrow to have door panel removed...BILL IN FLORIDA.... wildfelr

IMG_2137.jpg

54 minutes ago, wildfelr said:

RQB 3263/81/305....HERE IS PIC  OF BALL JOINT REMOVAL TOOL FROM Harbor Freight probably about 10$ it worked well...

not yet on the window...it goes to trim shop tomorrow to have door panel removed...BILL IN FLORIDA.... wildfelr

IMG_2137.jpg

Thanks for that

10 hours ago, mfg said:

Does your '83 have the older Ross steering box, or the later forklift box?

--Dwight

RQB3263/81/305.......Pine pollen,  what pine pollen,  I  thought that was just gold tinted clear coat😝..... off to the trim shop with 3263 and lunch out,,,BILL

1 hour ago, wildfelr said:

RQB3263/81/305.......Pine pollen,  what pine pollen,  I  thought that was just gold tinted clear coat😝..... off to the trim shop with 3263 and lunch out,,,BILL

Pollen - we don't have any stinking Pollen - not here in Wisconsin (not yet) 🥶