Steering linkage question

pantera928

Avantis haver the strangest steering set up i have ever seen. Does anyone know why/how it was developed by Studebaker?

I have worked on many cars over the years both foreign and domestic but have never seen anything quite like this.

I am not saying this to be negative, just curious. My car steers fine all things considered.

If this was a better setup, why didn't others use it?

You are looking at 1950’s technology. The Avanti II are just a continuation of the technology.  Why? They had left over parts. I come to Avanti’s being a prior Studebaker owner and have been dealing with the same system for years. 

4 hours ago, Bill Hanlon said:

You are looking at 1950’s technology. The Avanti II are just a continuation of the technology.  Why? They had left over parts. I come to Avanti’s being a prior Studebaker owner and have been dealing with the same system for years. 

I agree and have owned other Studes as well. Just never came across any other car manufacturer even back then with such a strange steering setup. Or maybe my memory is bad?

On 3/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, pantera928 said:

Avantis haver the strangest steering set up i have ever seen. Does anyone know why/how it was developed by Studebaker?

I have worked on many cars over the years both foreign and domestic but have never seen anything quite like this.

I am not saying this to be negative, just curious. My car steers fine all things considered.

C1 Corvettes ('53-'62) have basically the same setup as Studebaker/Avanti.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

C1 Corvettes ('53-'62) have basically the same setup as Studebaker/Avanti.

Interesting as I have never worked on those. The 1963 and up to 1982 is "similar" (LOL) to what Ford used on the Mustangs and others

On 3/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, pantera928 said:

Many manufacturers did, but moved on to a better system. Studebaker didn't have the $$ to upgrade, so they used it on '63/'64 Avantis.  Find yourself an "old school" mechanic who's familiar with the steering system and you'll do just fine!

4 minutes ago, Desert Driver said:

Many manufacturers did, but moved on to a better system. Studebaker didn't have the $$ to upgrade, so they used it on '63/'64 Avantis.  Find yourself an "old school" mechanic who's familiar with the steering system and you'll do just fine!

I can work on it and FWIW, mine is operating quite well. Very tight and in need of nothing. Most of the older cars I worked on were European so that is probably why i never came across this.

Thanks