Avanti Turns!

mfg

46 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

According to shop manual, power steering is 3.5 and manual is 5, so 3)1 1/2 would be correct.

Sorry, 1 1/2 turns is not correct:(

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

You disagree with shop manual?

20220326_163059.thumb.jpg.e6e7ab611f73ee68bd09fae988f8f93f.jpg

Well, you are not seeing the whole picture!......I too have the shop manual.......The problem here is sometimes Studebaker printed information can be inaccurate..(for example the erroneous factory information regnalbob posted the other day concerning transmission weights)

What I have is a bulletin distributed by the Ross Gear & Tool Company. (In case you don't know, that company made the Studebaker Avanti's steering box)

It reads:   "Ross unit specified by Studebaker Avanti engineers requires only 3.5 turns from lock to lock for power steering and 4.5 turns for manual steering."

I believe the definitive answer would be to rotate the steering wheel on two Studebaker Avantis...one with power steering and one without...and simply count the turns.

In the meantime, the answer of ONE turn will stand!:)

Edited by mfg

1 minute ago, 64studeavanti said:

Just for posterity sake, will you post the bulletin? I have been collecting most pubs relating to Avanti and I do not have that one.

I'll give it some thought!:)

FWIW, if the turn to turn is incorrect, then the ratios of 16:1 for power steering and 22:1 for manual must be incorrect as well since the math works for the published values of turn to turn and ratios.

P.S. I do know that the ratios are slightly variable depending on how close you are to the high spot.

8 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

FWIW, if the turn to turn is incorrect, then the ratios of 16:1 for power steering and 22:1 for manual must be incorrect as well since the math works for the published values of turn to turn and ratios.

P.S. I do know that the ratios are slightly variable depending on how close you are to the high spot.

Good info!:)

14 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Just checked my 64 Avanti with power steering. Lock to lock is just over 3.5 turns. So, that spec is correct. I do not have a manual box to compare to.

Yes, if someone who owns (or has access to) a Studebaker Avanti equipped with manual steering would take the time to count the steering wheel turns lock to lock...

We will have a definite answer.:)

Here is a copy of a service letter dated May 11, 1964. It shows the 16:1 and 22:1 steering ratios for the Ross SE 54 as used in the Avanti as well as the SL 54 used in the GT. FWIW, if you do the math, 16:1 comes out to about 3.5 turns lock to lock and 22:1 is about 5 turns. This corresponds to the data published in the shop manual. If there is any documentation that states differently, I would like to see it!20220329_121057.thumb.jpg.4ea1aab99beff5509ecb9a150b190bf8.jpg

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

I thought you had a document from TRW/Ross???

I do!.....but that simply places one "document" against another "document"...I'm looking for 'real world' on this one!.....

Even you understood that a cast iron case T-10 four speed transmission couldn't possibly weigh 5 lbs. less than a non-overdrive T-86! (regnalbob's "documents")

Dated "documents" can sometimes be inaccurate!!!

Edited by mfg