Avanti Quote!

mfg

Which of the following individuals was quoted as saying....'The Avanti Has Created A New Class Of American Automobile" ?

1) Raymond Loewy.....2) Steven Blake......3) Sherwood Egbert.....or.....4) J.J. Cafaro

I really wonder who gets the credit for the saying "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti."

14 minutes ago, plwindish said:

I really wonder who gets the credit for the saying "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti."

That could be said of a lot of old cars. I rarely come out ahead redoing an old car that was badly neglected

6 hours ago, plwindish said:

John Polous.

Although as suggested it applies to all old cars.

The late, lamented Sam Miller once stated that "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes."  At the time he worked as a salesman at Coggins Motors, the Studebaker-Mercedes dealer here in Charlottesville, Va.  Sam's trademark on the phrase might have expired by the time John Poulos came along, however.

Then again, I also seem to recall in my high school Latin class translations of Caesar's Gallic Wars that Mark Antony said something to the effect that there's nothing more expensive than a cheap chariot.

--Dwight

17 hours ago, pantera928 said:

That could be said of a lot of old cars. I rarely come out ahead redoing an old car that was badly neglected

True...however it's one thing to bring a beat up Avanti back into safe, driveable condition,... and another thing to bring it back into as new, show car condition.:o

On 4/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, mfg said:

True...however it's one thing to bring a beat up Avanti back into safe, driveable condition,... and another thing to bring it back into as new, show car condition.:o

Well, I don't consider any of my cars "show cars". They are all 10 footers and drivers. Still not cheap even to get them that nice.

I drove the Avanti to a Cars & Coffee event yesterday and I will say that it got a LOT of attention. I saw one guy who must have taken 30 photos of it including some detailed ones up close. 

39 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

Well, I don't consider any of my cars "show cars". They are all 10 footers and drivers. Still not cheap even to get them that nice.

I drove the Avanti to a Cars & Coffee event yesterday and I will say that it got a LOT of attention. I saw one guy who must have taken 30 photos of it including some detailed ones up close. 

That's always a 'good feeling'!:)