easy way to change instrument lights in 1964 R1?

brant mulgrew

Small hands.

Add to that...if you're changing any of the bulbs...change them all at the same time and get LED bulbs.  Their brighter with more consistent light...use less power...and put out less heat.  You can get them in red, white or other colors.

Edited by Gunslinger

There is no easy way. I have big hands and could do it without removing the dash. 

I would never go for LED. To bright for me. I think that in to 60's, the world was darker and the dash light was bright enough. Now we have streetlights, the dash needs more light. Well, I refuse and go for the old bulbs.

entry_cgi.thumb.jpeg.6659a95572ea60192219d8157ed23015.jpeg

They make Pulse width modulating LED dimmers... a very simple hookup. I've posted it several times here before.

If you are not squeamish about cutting the dash, you can pull off the trim plate on the side and cut a hole large enough to access a lot of the area and leave the mounting holes intact. Did that on my 83.

Still a mess but helps some.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this on both my '63 and '71 Avanti II.

The best way is to first remove the front driver seat. There are only 4 bolts that connect it. Then you can lie on your back (with your head next to the pedals) and have full access to the underside of the dash. I would recommend throwing a few pillows / towels on both sides of the ridge on the floor that connects the front part of the seat. The pillows will distribute your weight around the ridge. (Your back will thank you!)

It is best to disconnect the battery before doing work under the dash. When you replace a bulb, you can reconnect to test it and check. 

It will take about an evening to do if you do it leisurely. I found that the Avanti II was more of a challenge to replace the bulbs since there were a lot more wires and obstructions under the dash. The Studies had less clutter and were more accessible.

Have fun. You will like the results!