Year:1979

VIN  RQ-B2904

Model :Avanti  Mileage: 77,000+

Engine:350 – 5.7 V-B SBC

Options: Cruise Pw. Ps. pb Leather Seats, Air Cond, Sunroof

Exterior Color:Midnight blue

Interior Color:Tan/saddle

Transmission:Automatic

Very nice Low mileage Avanti, mostly original car, repainted dark blue (originally gold), the interior has been redone, new carpet and Matt’s, turner brakes conversion, quick steer arm, original 350 Auto with PS, Pb, Air.  Air is completer and cycles but not cold!  SS Exhaust, 17” wheels and nice tires.  Just out of storage and needs minor TLC for misc electrical issues (driver window and Antenna, other?). Recent oil and filter, new carb, new wires and plugs.

15 footer repaint, a couple of small chrome issues, good hog trough (redone fiberglass hog troughs), excellent redone interior with recarlo seats.

located in North Ga, selling for an elderly friend  - call me and leave a message!   

he is looking for offers around $20,000 OBO 

Gary Johnson 770 630-7375

StingrayHawaii@Yahoo.com

2B539F72-475C-44C1-BB22-AA0CAF2E77FF.jpeg

E3DB9E8F-3199-4E2C-B214-8CEFC70D485C.jpeg

27411347-ED3B-4A9A-A6FA-6E8AA4E79CFB.jpeg

E5FF5466-D164-4A3A-B49B-ACDA632433DE.jpeg

F009C2CC-63B9-4CEF-9FB3-25E3C840B9EE.jpeg

2F10CB37-2AD6-443E-ACB6-64892B88A828.jpeg

610F0C9D-AAEE-4F96-B7A2-323CAFC9EDBB.jpeg

849DE285-C488-4D30-AEA5-48C8DFBEDB99.jpeg

5AF1B396-9DDC-499F-85B1-4B01EC4995EE.jpeg

0AD72E73-BF02-4EFF-804B-09FA2D885533.jpeg

3DFB9178-3819-47FE-A689-CB439F9854B2.jpeg

36CC65D6-9074-4366-8040-B97FB0E6E069.jpeg

384C40E2-C9E5-4677-BB6C-78F90C752D5F.jpeg

26BE53A2-7A63-4CB6-98B0-0DC358C17742.jpeg

Edited by StingrayHawaii

8 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Yes, should be "quick" steering arms. When Avanti changed to the forklift steering box, they were needed to keep the steering similar. In any case, I have the same setup on my 78.

Okay, you got me. What is the forklift steering box? I thought the quick steering arms were just an aftermarket thing some people did.

Do you like the quick steering arms on yours?

When Avanti Motors ran out of the original Ross steering boxes the best they could find to fit was a unit from an industrial fork lift.  It did fit but was not good for the car's steering circle.  After Steve Blake purchased the company he had the shorter, quick steering arms made to return the steering back to the original performance.  The quick steering arms are not conducive for earlier cars with the original steering box...they make car handle different...very "darty" in my opinion...for no appreciable improvement in handling.  

If you have the steering box from a fork lift in your car...the switch occurred sometime in the '76-'78 time period...the quick steering arms will help some.  For easier cars...don't waste your money.

3 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

When Avanti Motors ran out of the original Ross steering boxes the best they could find to fit was a unit from an industrial fork lift.  It did fit but was not good for the car's steering circle.  After Steve Blake purchased the company he had the shorter, quick steering arms made to return the steering back to the original performance.  The quick steering arms are not conducive for earlier cars with the original steering box...they make car handle different...very "darty" in my opinion...for no appreciable improvement in handling.  

If you have the steering box from a fork lift in your car...the switch occurred sometime in the '76-'78 time period...the quick steering arms will help some.  For easier cars...don't waste your money.

So since i have a 1980, you are saying that i have the "forklift" steering?

A couple comments re the quick steering arms:

1) They are of more use on a Hawk due to those cars' longer wheelbase (120.5").

2) The standard arms can be heated and shortened to a length halfway between the standard and quick arms.  At least one person has already done this.

--Dwight

2 hours ago, pantera928 said:

In that case, I may try my quick steering arms. Dan Booth was telling me that it would make it hard to handle

I have the quick steering arms on both my '64 Avanti and my '64 Hawk.  Both have PS.  They do indeed make the Avanti somewhat darty, but I'm OK with that.  I like the quicker steering.  There is less dartiness effect on the Hawk because of the longer wheelbase and the slower stock steering box.  On both cars it takes appreciably more elbow grease to steer the car when stationary.  So, I have learned to get the car moving before turning the steering wheel.

--Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I have the quick steering arms on both my '64 Avanti and my '64 Hawk.  Both have PS.  They do indeed make the Avanti somewhat darty, but I'm OK with that.  I like the quicker steering.  There is less dartiness effect on the Hawk because of the longer wheelbase and the slower stock steering box.  On both cars it takes appreciably more elbow grease to steer the car when stationary.  So, I have learned to get the car moving before turning the steering wheel.

--Dwight

Thank you for that.

An ‘80 Avanti would only have the quick steering arms if a previous owner installed them.  It wasn’t until Steve Blake purchased Avanti Motors in 1982 that he had the new arms made to give the Avanti back its original steering feel.

I can tell you that it does not as I have a pair of the quick steering arms and they are definitely shorter than what is on the car.

I google searched for more information about the quick steering arms and their history on Avantis and came up empty