New Carter Fuel Pump. Inlet, Outlet

Leo B

Hi,
I bought new Carter Fuel Pump. New one has bigger outlet and inlet than original. What are correct Inlet / Oulet Fitting sizes? (both are same size). I measured female 0.441-0.447 ".
Is the correct 1/4 NPT?

Edit: From the very top female is 0.49" So have to be 1/4 NTP.
https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4826/~/what-is-an-npt-fitting%3F

IMG_3126.JPG

Edited by Leo B

Hello Leo,  Every mechanical fuel pump I have installed on cars prior to 1975 have always been NTP. It is a taper thread so use a good sealer like Loctite 567 and install it snug and it will be fine. Never use teflon tape on them.   Good luck, John C.

I would have guessed that it was inverted flare. Lo and behold when I looked at some spares in the shop, they appear to be NPT. No seat to seal! OTOH, the fittings that go into the pump are inverted flare.

FWIW, I have had success using hylomar as a sealant.

Edited by 64studeavanti

Thank you gentlemen. I see only way to solve this is to use 1/4 > 1/8 NPT Reducer adapter fitting + Loctite or Hylomar.  I have Out T-fitting (cross) and In L-fitting (elbow) from older Carter. All older fittings seems to be tapered and appears that a sealant has been added to them.

image_32876.jpg

Here is a pic of the original Carter fuel pump off my '64 Commander 259, showing its brass fuel fittings.  I believe your car is an Avanti, so your fittings may be different.  I would suggest going to Studebaker International or Stephen Allen's (or others) for these brass fittings.  These, of course, are SAE (English units); We ain't had metric here in the wild West for very long.

--Dwight

1964 Commander 259 fuel pump (2).JPG