Frozen Speedometer Service

1inxs

I posted this question on the SDC forum because it’s for my 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1, but received no replies, so I thought I’d try here. The 160 MPH speedo in my GT Hawk is frozen solid. I removed it from the dash and on closer inspection the black paint around the ring under the glass is flaking off. Because of this I have decided to send it out for a complete rebuild. Somebody has surely dealt with this issue. I am seeking recommendations for how to rebuild it or where to send it for a quality job.

Thanks for all you do

Robert

19 minutes ago, 1inxs said:

I posted this question on the SDC forum because it’s for my 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1, but received no replies, so I thought I’d try here. The 160 MPH speedo in my GT Hawk is frozen solid. I removed it from the dash and on closer inspection the black paint around the ring under the glass is flaking off. Because of this I have decided to send it out for a complete rebuild. Somebody has surely dealt with this issue. I am seeking recommendations for how to rebuild it or where to send it for a quality job.

Thanks for all you do

Robert

Robert, I would take the speedometer apart yourself before resorting to send it out....The outer bezel's 'crimp' can be carefully pried open with a flat screwdriver while holding the speedo  firmly down against a solid, flat surface....Then the glass can be removed and cleaned, and the flaking inner ring can be sanded down and refinished.

The needle can be repainted, if necessary.

As to the mechanism itself, it probably only needs a good 'blow out' with air pressure and lubrication with light oil or ATF.

Why not give it a try and save $$$$$ !:)

23 hours ago, mfg said:

Robert, I would take the speedometer apart yourself before resorting to send it out....The outer bezel's 'crimp' can be carefully pried open with a flat screwdriver while holding the speedo  firmly down against a solid, flat surface....Then the glass can be removed and cleaned, and the flaking inner ring can be sanded down and refinished.

The needle can be repainted, if necessary.

As to the mechanism itself, it probably only needs a good 'blow out' with air pressure and lubrication with light oil or ATF.

Why not give it a try and save $$$$$ !:)

I’m have zero knowledge of the speedo and there is nothing on the web. I have 2 160 MPH and both are seized solid. I wouldn't’ know the first thing about getting them to move, short of a super large hammer. A pro would hopefully have the needed parts to get them working.

19 hours ago, 1inxs said:

I’m have zero knowledge of the speedo and there is nothing on the web. I have 2 160 MPH and both are seized solid. I wouldn't’ know the first thing about getting them to move, short of a super large hammer. A pro would hopefully have the needed parts to get them working.

Makes sense!...Good luck!....Ed:)