1963 Avanti Supercharger verification

1inxs

I have verified that a 1963 Studebaker Avanti I’m looking at purchasing is a true Avanti R2. I want to verify the supercharger installed on the car is in fact the correct unit. When looking at the part connected to the fan belts, does it look correct? Thanks for the replies.

Robert

4B9ECD24-AD13-4F21-831C-F555D4059E91.jpeg

I think that its correct Paxton but somebody has installed filling whole with rubber cap ( looks like that). I see also oil stick which is correct (Im not 100% sure). Check also if somebody has installed drain blug. It was in my Avanti and result was breakage because it was leaking and previous owner didnt know that.

Here is the original to compare.

Edit ... Also check that there is oil in Paxton. If it is dry, note that it may have been used without oil as in my case. I bought a new one and paid over $ 1,500.
Hmmm... Black one. This have to be early production as we have discussed her. Experienced enthusiasts will know more.

Edit, edit.... What black breather cap is on the engine?

1964-Studebaker-Avanti-R2-engine.jpg

Edited by Leo B

1 hour ago, Leo B said:

I think that its correct Paxton but somebody has installed filling whole with rubber cap ( looks like that). I see also oil stick which is correct (Im not 100% sure). Check also if somebody has installed drain blug. It was in my Avanti and result was breakage because it was leaking and previous owner didnt know that.

Edit ... Also check that there is oil in Paxton. If it is dry, note that it may have been used without oil as in my case. I bought a new one and paid over $ 1,500.
Hmmm... Black one. This have to be early production as we have discussed her. Experienced enthusiasts will know more.

Perfect! Yeah, it looks like the same unit as your photo.I’m currently going back and forth using pictures while I’m negotiating a purchase. I believe the item on the supercharger is a coolant jug cap or similar. I’m not quite sure what the extra breather looking item is all about. I’m waiting for him to answer a few questions and send more pictures to clarify the condition. He says it runs and drives, so that’s a good point.

Thanks for the picture and info.

I’ll be looking for block number and other items as soon as I get some more pictures of interior. I’ve checked VIN and it’s and R2.

1 hour ago, 1inxs said:

I’m not quite sure what the extra breather looking item is all about.

Late Studebaker V8's, (including Avanti R engines), which have the breather/oil fill caps in the rocker arm covers utilize a flat block off plate to seal the entrance for oil to be added on earlier engines....On this engine, someone has removed the block off plate and replaced it with an earlier Stude engine oil fill pipe and cap.....Easy swap, it bolts right on!:)

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

Does it come with the ignition shielding? The concern about the black oil filler cap is that it could be an older engine. Verify head numbers, they are visible above the center exhaust port. 

Yes,They took the shielding of to work on the engine and put it in a box in the front seat. Good information on the filler cap. Crap, I looked at 1960 a Studebaker 289 and it could be a match! That would possibly explain the black fan blades instead of the orange Avanti. OK, now if it’s an engine from another Studebaker, I would be more likely to pass on it.

I really appreciate all of you guys comments and insight!

Edited by 1inxs

1 hour ago, 1inxs said:

Yes,They took the shielding of to work on the engine and put it in a box in the front seat. Good information on the filler cap. Crap, I looked at 1960 a Studebaker 289 and it could be a match! That would possibly explain the black fan blades instead of the orange Avanti. OK, now if it’s an engine from another Studebaker, I would be more likely to pass on it.

I really appreciate all of you guys comments and insight!

While it's quite possible the fan blades were repainted black sometime in the last 60 years, for original engine verification go with a check of the block and head numbers....they don't change.

13 minutes ago, psdenno said:

While it's quite possible the fan blades were repainted black sometime in the last 60 years, for original engine verification go with a check of the block and head numbers....they don't change.

Trying to locate the block and head number locations. Any idea where they are located?

Does anyone know what the block number and head number should be for an Avanti R2?

The serial number is on a flat pad near the lifter cover driver's front side.  As stated, the head casting numbers are visible just above the center exhaust port. Does it have a spin on oil filter lower rear passenger side?

Edited by 64studeavanti

The head number is 535976. I believe the engine serial number is 1557144. I look forward to yall's wisdom!

Robert

On 3/10/2022 at 1:44 PM, Leo B said:

Leo,

Where is the filling hole in the original that you posted to compare, under the label? I was told the one that I posted  had a tapered plug that’s in one of the boxes of parts in the car. I don’t see a fill hole in any pictures I find.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:11 AM, 1inxs said:

Leo,

Where is the filling hole in the original that you posted to compare, under the label? I was told the one that I posted  had a tapered plug that’s in one of the boxes of parts in the car. I don’t see a fill hole in any pictures I find.

Hi, I have one Paxton that's broken. It had Herndon tape on the top of the hole. This means that Paxton has been repaired in the past at a Herndon service center. I don't see any meaning for the hole. Not to fill. (My wrong conclusion because I didnt look under tape) Hole goes out the cover. I also have number MS1779. I can't find any other numbers. Hope those who know more will comment. I understand you fill oil from the oil stick hole.

Edited by Leo B

Here is picture of engine serial number from 64 R1. If the block is original, it should be RSxxxx. Of course, some previous owner may have transferred the R2 internals to a different block. 

BTW, the casting number on this block is 1554641 indicating a full flow block with spin on oil filter located lower rear passenger side. All blocks after mid 62 should have this casting number.20220312_071202.thumb.jpg.a760731e76dbe7a1dac48ff2832efdfa.jpg

Edited by 64studeavanti

Well, the "MS" letters means that the supercharger originally came on a '63-'64 Studebaker Avanti R2 (side mount style)...If the serial began with "ML", that would mean the supercharger originally was fitted to a Lark/Hawk R2 Avanti engine (top mount blower style)

The large hole at the top center of supercharger is a carryover from the days when an electric solenoid was fitted into that hole....The solenoid controlled the drive pulley 'shift' on the original 'vari-speed' Mc Culloch superchargers....Your Paxton unit being derived (and simplified) from the McCulloch version.....Ed

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Here is picture of engine serial number from 64 R1. If the block is original, it should be RSxxxx. Of course, some previous owner may have transferred the R2 internals to a different block. 

BTW, the casting number on this block is 1554641 indicating a full flow block with spin on oil filter located lower rear passenger side. All blocks after mid 62 should have this casting number.20220312_071202.thumb.jpg.a760731e76dbe7a1dac48ff2832efdfa.jpg

Nice photo of the late factory 'block off plate' that the early oil fill pipe/ breather replaced..... (Which is seen in 1inx's first photo)

Note painted lifter valley cover on this 1964 Avanti R1 engine......One of the many changes between 1963 (chrome plated cover) and later production '64 model Studebaker Avantis.

2 hours ago, mfg said:

Note painted lifter valley cover on this 1964 Avanti R1 engine......One of the many changes between 1963 (chrome plated cover) and later production '64 model Studebaker Avantis.

Not all 1963 Avantis had chrome covers.

They were discontinued in March or April of 1963.

5 hours ago, regnalbob said:

Not all 1963 Avantis had chrome covers.

They were discontinued in March or April of 1963.

Of course Bob, that is why i stated "later production":).....(You need to remember there were transition models!;))

Okay, The block serial number is RS 1695

the supercharger is MS 2160

Edited by 1inxs