Let’s talk sway bar

Jred

When I acquired my 1970 Avanti the sway bar mount on the passenger side was coming away from the frame. Over time I could hear the tack welds coming off one by one when I would take a right turn into a inclined drive way. Eventually it was really bad and had a friend replace the metal. See attached pictures. 
I just replaced the leafs and shocks, along with sway bar bushings. The sway bar is still having issues when I pull into an incline. The driver side frame mount is showing signs of fatigue now as well. 
Anyone else have similar issues and is there an upgrade or alternative to the stock set up?

CBC7E344-7721-498E-9B17-B40D217C02EE.jpeg

0C60BA6B-1A1B-4A6A-A795-2A55C7E98F07.jpeg

BBEF47AC-60A2-480F-9DC9-CEA4374B243F.jpeg

A893C041-AB6A-4D7D-95B7-F0289E44FD19.jpeg

DAE3236D-546B-4F29-94DD-E2B755528B88.jpeg

540A53B3-BFE5-44F9-936A-DEA80696DCC1.jpeg

Looks like your friend did some nice work!...Just make sure the frame brackets are welded securely, (both sides), change all the rubber bushings, (which you have already done), and you should be good to go!:)

18 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

Just looked at mine and they look like new

His work was definitely more stout than factory. This car has been in SoCal all it’s life so there’s only surface rust. I can’t imagine this is the only car that’s dealt with.

I swore I heard one of his rosette welds give today pulling into the auto parts store but maybe it was a u-bolt shifting. I’ll Jack it up and examine things later today. 

When I installed Koni's and  changed the rear sway bar to the 1" size, the first hard corner I made, ripped the bottom plate off the passenger side at the wheel arch.   I basically repaired it the same way but also drilled and installed four SAE grade 8, 3/8" X1.5" bolts on each side.

Driver side started showing some major fatigue so I removed the sway bar today to examine. It only took a few wiggles to yank the mount from the frame. 

Running it with out the sway bar till some proper reinforcement is devised. 

63C27481-7CA2-43AD-A47F-D373D888CBBE.jpeg

Edited by Jred

Looks like a combination of old age and modest weld surface have caught up with the mount. I'd just put better metal on the bottom of the hat and weld the bracket in more completely. That one has held up over 50 years so the initial design, although not the best, worked.

I'd also weld the side of the bracket to the frame on the other side also. That should help resist the pulling forces from the bar.

Edited by Avanti83

13 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

Looks like a combination of old age and modest weld surface have caught up with the mount. I'd just put better metal on the bottom of the hat and weld the bracket in more completely. That one has held up over 50 years so the initial design, although not the best, worked.

I'd also weld the side of the bracket to the frame on the other side also. That should help resist the pulling forces from the bar.

Yeah the sway bar must have been a Friday afternoon special. The more Iook the more I notice the welds in certain areas look rushed

I can see why swapping the original rear bar for the thicker one Studebaker vendors are selling could lead to problems if that upper frame mount plate isn't first reinforced.