EFI and distributor

tanda62

Completely rebuilding my 63 R1 Avanti and am wondering for those that have put fuel injection on their cars, what distributor did you go with to match the injection system? Nothing fancy with my engine, stock R1 although I am using R3 headers with quiet tone mufflers and having an aluminum intake built. Automatic with Air Conditioning and the plan is to use the car as a daily driver.
There seem to be several distributor choices out there, Maxx performance, CRT performance, Studebaker International, Pertronix, Mallory Unilite from Dave Thibeault and any I have missed. The fuel injection system choices look to be Holley, Edlebrock, and Fitech.
So what combo of the choices have people installed and what have your experiences been?
Thanks, Tom

I have purposely left off the Hamilton system as he is so back ordered as to not know when his system will be available again.

Holley gives a circuit diagram for an MSD box. You can use the Pertronix distributor. You have to buy the "Phase able" rotor (small type) from MSD. and use that. Use a junk cap and cut a hole in the top neat the #1 tower.  You have to lock out both the mechanical, and remove the vacuum advance, and lock it out too. Start the car and set the initial advance to 10 degrees. Check the rotor position through the "hole" and adjust the rotor so it is centered on the #1 tower. That's it.  I would also recommend the progressive link for the secondaries that Holley sells for the Sniper.

tanda62,

Three years ago I had an MSD system put on my '76 with a 400 SBC.  I have an MSD distributor and spark box as well.  Other than the inline electric fuel pump crapping out in under a year, the system's been trouble free.