paint problem-1980 Avanti

pantera928

See attached photos. Those are not clouds overhead, those are pale patches in the paint that recently showed up. This is the factory original paint.

I am thinking moisture under the paint but there are not cracks in the paint. Can't feel anything and it does not buff out.

Ideas?

Thanks

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

2 hours ago, wdaly said:

It looks like clear coat failure (?)

I get that but I do not think they used any clear coat back then, just lacquer and when I hit it with the buffer, I get blue on the buffing wheel which tells me I am not buffing on clear coat.

Usually clear coat also tends to yellow but not always.

Thanks

I hope you have a quality buffer made for this…a random orbital is most cost effective.  Use a good polish then follow up with a good sealant or wax.  The improvement can be remarkable.  

Go to a website like Griot’s Garage or Autogeek…they have excellent tutorials and products to help.

1 hour ago, Gunslinger said:

I hope you have a quality buffer made for this…a random orbital is most cost effective.  Use a good polish then follow up with a good sealant or wax.  The improvement can be remarkable.  

Go to a website like Griot’s Garage or Autogeek…they have excellent tutorials and products to help.

That I do. I paint my own cars. I did a little work on another spot like this on the trunk and it looks much better but not gone. I will work on it some more tomorrow if time permits.

Well, I polished on this car a bunch today. I can say that it looks better but not 100%.

it sat outside in the rain under a tight car cover that I have never liked and am wondering if the cover and moisture caused this.

there are spots on the roof and trunk lid and one small one on the hood. 

2 hours ago, Stacey said:

Is it possible that a body filler ( as in Bondo) is bleeding through the base color?

Don't think so as this is all original paint. Thanks for asking