Steering oil pump. Cover.

Leo B

Please advice. Here you see cleaned cover before paint. You find small hole on the cover. Normally this kind of hole is for air and to avoid pressure. I have also a small plate with holes. No seals. I think the plate with three holes is not original. 
Should there be seals which close the small hole or…?

I think the kit which SI sells includes seals to cover also.

0A4AB8AD-8BBD-4BB1-A266-CAEF2B879A82.jpeg

After having gone through my fair share of Eaton pumps, I do not believe what is pictured is a factory washer.

Be careful with the new seal kit, they include top seals that will block the cover vent, creating a new vent where the front seal is!

Hi Billsr2.

I think that tank needs air and hole/vent like a breather. Oil level changes when oil flows thru the tank. Seals will close the hole/vent. This way there is a vacuum or overpressure in the tank and pump. Does not work well.
I dont think this is correct https://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/sbca96/stupspump/stupspumpreb.html Scroll bottom of the page. What do you think?
Ford used Eaton Pump version which had separate filler cap which seems to have breather vent (stick also). No need to open the cover. Maybe seals are for that version.
You see in the other photo from Ford which has the similar tank cover idea as Eaton in Stude without seals which seems to correct for me. Then the washer with holes is not an original one but a good idea.

IMG_2162a.jpg

Näyttökuva 2022-2-20 kello 22.55.21.png

Edited by Leo B

🤓Hi again. I found this from same article I wrote a link:

Mr Mike M. Wrote a comment:  Be sure to use a grommet and washer, in the lid, that allow the reservoir to vent. Most kits contain parts for Fords that vent from the fill stack. They do a nice job of sealing the Stude reservoir, until it gets hot and forces fluid out.

Mr Rautio who wrote the article and added seals didnt red this comment well. I think🤔

Edit: Part Catalogue shows: 1553299 Reservoir Stud Washer + 1548198 Washer, plain (special) + Wing Nut.
In Workshop Manual is written: Install the reservoir cover, a new cover gasket, a new wing nut rubber gasket, a flat steel washer and the wing nut.

I belive parts catalogue and leave all gaskets/rubbers which covers the hole/valve and let the tank (reservoir) to breath. Lets see when I get gasket kit from SI.

Edited by Leo B