200 4R torque converter lock

pantera928

I am told that the torque converter for a 200 4R needs to be locked when in 4th gear and that this is done electrically.

I was also told that if this was not done, the thing would/could burn up.

I have also been told that if you keep it locked electrically all the time, it will only lock when that transmission is actually in 4th gear.

Does this make sense and can any of you tell me what is the best way to set this up?

I am considering replacing my TH400 with a 200 4R.

Thanks

I am told that the torque converter for a 200 4R needs to be locked when in 4th gear and that this is done electrically.

Yes, that's how the transmission is intended to function with a lock-up converter.

If the converter does not lock-up it will be slipping, which will generate more heat and shorten it's life. 

I have also been told that if you keep it locked electrically all the time, it will only lock when that transmission is actually in 4th gear.

That is one of many possible ways. This will give a somewhat harsh 3-4 shift will a large rpm drop all at once. 

Does this make sense and can any of you tell me what is the best way to set this up?

The "best" way depends on what you want it to do, how much you want to spend, and how elaborate you want the set-up to be. It's possible to just control  the lock-up system with a toggle switch and activate/deactivate it manually. There are also aftermarket electronic control devices (look at Summit Racing, JEGS, etc) that will sense vehicle speed and lock the converter once the car reaches a certain speed. I have mine set-up so that once the car hits 4th gear and the manifold vacuum rises, the converter locks. It will then stay locked until he manifold vacuum drops very low, like when climbing a steep hill or passing. In this way the system is somewhat automatic but not computer-controlled. 

9 hours ago, AD said:

Yes, that's how the transmission is intended to function with a lock-up converter.

If the converter does not lock-up it will be slipping, which will generate more heat and shorten it's life. 

That is one of many possible ways. This will give a somewhat harsh 3-4 shift will a large rpm drop all at once. 

The "best" way depends on what you want it to do, how much you want to spend, and how elaborate you want the set-up to be. It's possible to just control  the lock-up system with a toggle switch and activate/deactivate it manually. There are also aftermarket electronic control devices (look at Summit Racing, JEGS, etc) that will sense vehicle speed and lock the converter once the car reaches a certain speed. I have mine set-up so that once the car hits 4th gear and the manifold vacuum rises, the converter locks. It will then stay locked until he manifold vacuum drops very low, like when climbing a steep hill or passing. In this way the system is somewhat automatic but not computer-controlled. 

Thank you for that explanation. I like  the vacuum switch idea.