Brake rotors for 1964 R1

Alan Blalock

Good day. I am asking the "Gods of Knowledge" for a favor,and advise. I am replacing the front brakes on my 1964 Avanti R1,and am looking for new brake rotors. Since NOS stock price is $160.00 each, I am seeking other options. Somewhere down the line,and maybe even on this forum I thought I heard of an OEM replacement that would be a direct fit(Mustang?). If a aftermarket replacement could be a direct fit including the Hub Assembly that would be a bonus. Of course clearance would be an important component. Has anyone experienced an interchangeable part, that is suitable? If so would you be so kind as to advise me of the Manufacturer, and the part number? A one piece rotor with hub assembly would be the ideal situation, as the NOS Avanti is a rotor without the hub assembly. I can press out the hub, but don't really want to go through that process if I can find an alternative. Thanks for any assistance you may provide.  Alan Blalock  831-331-1993  Gig Harbor, Washington

Look into the Turner kit…you can get it from Jim Turner himself or Jon Myer at Myer’s Studebaker.  It contains all the parts necessary to convert to Ford rotor and GM calipers and pads plus bearings, hoses and other parts.  It’s the way to go.

There is no direct replacement for the stock Avanti rotor.  Most Avanti owners seem to go with the Turner front disc brake kit, but there is another kit available from Hot Rods and Brakes (easy to find with Google).  It is a little cheaper and the mounting bracket is a bit lighter (a good thing).  The Turner kit is (off the top of my head) $700 or so.  So, there's no cheap solution to Avanti brakes.

I believe the stock Avanti rotors available now are new manufacture.  That's why they cost what they do.

--Dwight

Bite the bullet and put a new set at $160 each. They would probably be the last set you ever need to buy. I have a new Turner kit on the shelf to remind me to leave it the way it was built by Studebaker. It passed the fed laws then and stops on a dime. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

6 hours ago, 1inxs said:

Bite the bullet and put a new set at $160 each. They would probably be the last set you ever need to buy. I have a new Turner kit on the shelf to remind me to leave it the way it was built by Studebaker. It passed the fed laws then and stops on a dime. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

I would agree.  The original Bendix/Dunlop disc brakes stop an Avanti quite well.  I have a '64 Avanti (R5255) that has been hovered over like a baby chick all its life and it stops straight and quickly.  The car mag. road tests in the '60's had Avantis stopping from 60 MPH in about 120 ft.  That is still a good number even for a modern car.

It is true that the original brakes (like any) need to be in good shape to work properly.

The Studebaker that I converted to Turner discs is my '64 Hawk R1, which came with 4-wheel drums.  Even drum brakes work well when in perfect condition, but the worries with them are: 1) Fading with heat buildup (think mountain), and 2) not stopping straight.  So, I converted it to Turner discs.

Still, your car, your money, your decision.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

Thanks to all for the information. It looks to me that  the way to go is replacing with new Avanti rotors. It makes more sense to me to keep the car stock, than to start mixing and matching parts. Thanks for the opinions and information. It is so wonderful to have a site like this where owners love to help each other,and keep the Avanti dream alive. After 3 decades of restoring and repairing cars of all types, this forum is the BEST by far.  Regards Alan Blalock

I had an older replacement brake kit (Levesque) on my 64. It used the Mustang rotors and GM calipers with custom brackets. It worked well. I am now going back to stock brakes mostly for authenticity.  I have been collecting brake parts from others who made the switch. I now have a pair of rotors with plenty of meat on them.  Also going back to original master cylinder.

16 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I would agree.  The original Bendix/Dunlop disc brakes stop an Avanti quite well.  I have a '64 Avanti (R5255) that has been hovered over like a baby chick all its life and it stops straight and quickly.  The car mag. road tests in the '60's had Avantis stopping from 60 MPH in about 120 ft.  That is still a good number even for a modern car.

It is true that the original brakes (like any) need to be in good shape to work properly.

The Studebaker that I converted to Turner discs is my '64 Hawk R1, which came with 4-wheel drums.  Even drum brakes work well when in perfect condition, but the worries with them are: 1) Fading with heat buildup (think mountain), and 2) not stopping straight.  So, I converted it to Turner discs.

Still, your car, your money, your decision.

--Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I learned something new. I didn’t know the GT Hawks cam with anything but disc front brakes. I can agree 100% with replacing front drum with the Turner disc conversion.My 1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 has the factory front disc same as my 1964 Avanti. I really like them.

Alan,

I think you’ll be happy with replacing the rotors with Avanti original. Enjoy the ride!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, CaptainChaos said:

Pantera928... are you in the market to sell the old set? I am in need of a set of Hubs.. L and R. I am sure that shipping will be a pain though.

I would sell the old set up. I am assuming that the 1980 Avanti II used the same brakes as the original Studebaker Avantis?

12 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I would sell the old set up. I am assuming that the 1980 Avanti II used the same brakes as the original Studebaker Avantis?

Do you have a price in mind incl shipping to Dallas TX? Thank you..

11 hours ago, CaptainChaos said:

Do you have a price in mind incl shipping to Dallas TX? Thank you..

I really haven't given it any thought. No idea what shipping costs would be. Make me an offer.