Harbor Freight Tire Changer

64studeavanti

As I posted, I am going through my collection of wheels to find 5 good ones. In order to do that I need to remove the rotted tires. Instead of hauling 12 tire/wheel combos to the local tire shop, I purchased a tire changer from Harbor Freight. I believe it was less than $50. In any case, I bolted it to the shop floor today using 3/8 tapcons. The first tire I tried to dismount took almost 2 hours. Was ready to quit and visit tire shop. Finally got the bead broke. The darn thing had a tube in it! Did 5 more tires at an average of 15 min each. Likely already paid for it. Still need to do about 5 or 6 more. Tomorrow's job.

22 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

As I posted, I am going through my collection of wheels to find 5 good ones. In order to do that I need to remove the rotted tires. Instead of hauling 12 tire/wheel combos to the local tire shop, I purchased a tire changer from Harbor Freight. I believe it was less than $50. In any case, I bolted it to the shop floor today using 3/8 tapcons. The first tire I tried to dismount took almost 2 hours. Was ready to quit and visit tire shop. Finally got the bead broke. The darn thing had a tube in it! Did 5 more tires at an average of 15 min each. Likely already paid for it. Still need to do about 5 or 6 more. Tomorrow's job.

I purchased one of those Harbor Freight manual tire changers about five years ago...It was on sale at the time, and I think I paid around $39 for it....I figured at that price why not give it a try?

My verdict....I was very impressed!...I bolted it down to my garage floor, as you did, (removable) and over the years I've mounted at least two dozen tires with it.

It has saved me quite a bit of $$$$, and if someone has a little mechanical aptitude, it actually kind of fun to use!

One modification I made to it was welding 1/2" angle iron to the two vertical bead breaker legs...I felt they needed a little 'beefing up'.....Ed:)

Pleased as well. As I said, the first tire was almost impossible. Somehow the tube interfered with breaking the bead. Turns out, after all that work, I won't use that wheel. When I measured, the width came out to 4 1/2", not the 5" I was expecting. Had double hump just like the others.  Must be for a Lark. 

Some of the wheels have enlarged lug holes. Hoping to find 5 that will work with the 3/4" Stude lugs. If not, may decide to use the 13/16" Ford lugs. Wheels will be media blasted, checked for cracks and runout and painted with the quart of wheel paint I bought from S.I.