Quiet days on this forum

pantera928

It has been kind of quiet out there lately. No one having any issues or is it too cold to mess with Avantis right now. 

I enjoy reading about the experiences of others with these cars. I sometimes gain new insights as well.

Probably not too interesting,.... but I finally replaced the underdash red light bulb which shines down on the console window, heater, & vent controls on my '83 Avanti....The light had burnt out several years ago, and I just got used to it not working....Anyway, i replaced it with a small red LED bulb, and it sure makes a difference!....The 'red glow' over those chrome knobs looks pretty nice at night!

4 hours ago, mfg said:

Probably not too interesting,.... but I finally replaced the underdash red light bulb which shines down on the console window, heater, & vent controls on my '83 Avanti....The light had burnt out several years ago, and I just got used to it not working....Anyway, i replaced it with a small red LED bulb, and it sure makes a difference!....The 'red glow' over those chrome knobs looks pretty nice at night!

I agree. I just wish i could find red LEDs for the gauges that are bright enough for me to see at night.

2 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

To make a little noise, I will update on my progress on hog trough replacement etc. Look under topic of scope creep. Chassis is almost done. Lots of cleanup, paint and NOS parts.

Just a thought, but why not start a separate post on major projects like hog trough replacement. It will make the repairs easier to find in the future for folks interested in how it's done.

1 hour ago, Avanti83 said:

Just a thought, but why not start a separate post on major projects like hog trough replacement. It will make the repairs easier to find in the future for folks interested in how it's done.

I have thought that we needed a tech notes section for this purpose on the forum.

19 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I agree. I just wish i could find red LEDs for the gauges that are bright enough for me to see at night.

Yes, I need to work on that issue myself.....The gauges on my '83 are tough to read at night:(

Just now, mfg said:

Yes, I need to work on that issue myself.....The gauges on my '83 are tough to read at night:(

I am running white LEDs for now and while I can see, i do not like the look compared to red.

If you come across a good solution, let me know and I will do the same. Tried some from superbright but not happy nd have tried a couple of others

1 minute ago, pantera928 said:

I am running white LEDs for now and while I can see, i do not like the look compared to red.

If you come across a good solution, let me know and I will do the same. Tried some from superbright but not happy nd have tried a couple of others

OK!

I was in the midst of redoing the headliner on my 70' but just got slammed with work and will have to get back to it when the "work" projects die down.

After that its on to the gauges. I'll need to find some good red led's as well.

Removed the old flaking headliner, dated 1962. Vacuumed and sanded the old glue off. Applied some leftover Noico sound deadener. I then cut some board to fit based off the fiberglass headliner replacements that came with the car. I went with the board because I plan on using some fabric in the end to give it a little twist of my own. Had to trim a couple times before I could wedge all sides in place. For the front I replaced the particle board sides with fresh board and new upholstery clips.

Picts of the halted headliner process...

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

Hi Jred,

That is no good sound deadner, in my humble opinion. This one does a good job on metal cars, not on Avanti's. It just add weight. Sound absorbtion is the way to go, so add foam or wool. This will also help against heat 🙂

7 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Hi Jred,

That is no good sound deadner, in my humble opinion. This one does a good job on metal cars, not on Avanti's. It just add weight. Sound absorbtion is the way to go, so add foam or wool. This will also help against heat 🙂

It helps a tad with sound and heat from what I have seen already. It’s what I had laying around from previous car projects. 
Weight is marginal on such a small surface. 
Reinstalling the AC would probably help the most. 😀

5 hours ago, Jred said:

It helps a tad with sound and heat from what I have seen already. It’s what I had laying around from previous car projects. 
Weight is marginal on such a small surface. 
Reinstalling the AC would probably help the most. 😀

Same here. My AC was empty after two weeks of cool air 🙁

Kodjo,

Recharge the system adding some compatible A/C fluorescent dye.  Then leak check with a UV "black" light in a dark garage.  Odds are that it is the compressor that's leaking, but better to be sure before you start spending for parts.  Which model compressor is on your system?

@Jim78I've filled the system and added yellow fluorescent dye. Still can not find the leak. It could be the pump via the carter? I do not have an great picture but I think it is a york 012-05586.

IMG_0318.thumb.jpeg.6e865b8d36f2271e414af0ba05ce57ad.jpeg

The pump is probably newer than the car. The car was build in '69, the pump probably in '89:

IMG_0313.thumb.jpeg.1a7104c1b0c994578ebb7b8880037e30.jpeg

Edited by Kodjo
Mention Jim78

I would guess that the DEC 1989 might be a date when the compressor was rebuilt.  I would run the system with the dye until it leaks down again.  Then park the car in a very dark garage (or at night), with the engine off.  Use a good ultraviolet light to check all over the system, including the condenser behind the grille.  You should see a fluorescent residue where the freon is leaking. 

Are you pulling a vacuum first? If it won't hold a vacuum, no point in wasting good refrigerant. I would start by upgrading the O-rings. Also the old hoses sometimes do not hold up to 134a if you are running that.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:54 AM, pantera928 said:

Are you pulling a vacuum first? If it won't hold a vacuum, no point in wasting good refrigerant. I would start by upgrading the O-rings. Also the old hoses sometimes do not hold up to 134a if you are running that.

Yes, we have tested with vacuum before filling the airco. It did hold then and the airco worked for 2 weeks. I'll have a look again at my pump some day.

4 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Yes, we have tested with vacuum before filling the airco. It did hold then and the airco worked for 2 weeks. I'll have a look again at my pump some day.

I would let it sit at least overnight with a vacuum. I once let one site for 7 days.

Edited by pantera928
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, About: Quiet days in this forum.

I like to use this forum because all the technology topics of interest are easy to find here. I also find good information and experience here. I am retired and a fine mechanic by training. I’ve restored a few motorcycles (like the Laverda, Moto Guzzi, BSA Gold Star, one Volvo P1800, and restored and raced a Rickman Matchless G50). I hope that I can give you also something.
I wrote a few texts to AOAI Facebook, but I feel that’s not the place to write about technical issues. Facebook is a social flow, and nothing will be saved next week. Facebook is nice and great, but better just for social chat. Facebook and Forum can complement each other with different functions.

I suggest AOAI to advise Facebook users (in the title) to use this forum for technical issues.

Edited by Leo B

On 2/26/2022 at 3:11 AM, Leo B said:

one Volvo P1800,

ahhhhh - this is the closest I ever got to owning one!

DSCF1523.JPG