Power steering control valve rebuild

hillsidehemi

First I will say I have had no luck with the search button.  Who are the sources for the Power steering control valve rebuilds?  Also will want the assist ram rebuilt and will replace all the hoses.  Great amounts of fluid on the garage floor.  Where have you actually sent a valve for rebuild?  1963 Avanti R1.  Another question, is there a difference with steering boxes for a manual steering car?  If a power steering failure should happen would a simple removal of the belt on the pump make it drive like a manual car?  Should a conversion to the electric steering system be considered?  Any advise or recommendations appreciated.  Thanks

Very easy job to do yourself with the rebuild kits.  These are Bendix units, so YouTube has plenty of guidance.  Early mustangs and corvettes used basically the same units except for the hose connection points. Hard part is getting the units off of the car. 

6 hours ago, hillsidehemi said:

Another question, is there a difference with steering boxes for a manual steering car? 

Yes, a manual steering Avanti has a different steering box than a PS Avanti.  The manual box is a "slower" one.  A manual steering Avanti takes something like 5 turns lock to lock, whereas a power steering Avanti takes something like 3.5 turns lock to lock.  One detail is that Studebaker offered the quick steering box as an option without power steering, but there were probably few Avantis ordered that way.  I knew of one '63 ordered that way by the local Studebaker dealer.

--Dwight

Another rebuilder for these parts is well known Studebaker parts supplier Dave Thibeault....His work is second to none ....Dave prefers phone calls before 7PM EST

Tel # 978 897 3158

I have suppled Dave with rebuilt valves before when he ran out. It is not just replacing two seals. Although, that is all you get in the Stude parts suppliers kits. There are hose seats at the bottom of every connection that need to be resurfaced or replaced, and there is a valve under the pressure fitting seat. Also, the spool valve needs to be perfect. The rubber bump-stop cushions are not in kits, and neither is the pitman arm seal. A half-ass job produces half-ass results.

3 minutes ago, brad said:

I have suppled Dave with rebuilt valves before when he ran out. It is not just replacing two seals. Although, that is all you get in the Stude parts suppliers kits. There are hose seats at the bottom of every connection that need to be resurfaced or replaced, and there is a valve under the pressure fitting seat. Also, the spool valve needs to be perfect. The rubber bump-stop cushions are not in kits, and neither is the pitman arm seal. A half-ass job produces half-ass results.

Well said!:)

23 hours ago, brad said:

In my opinion you make it too complicated. If the valve was in good shape before and just leaking suddenly, it must be one of the seals from the kit. The pitman seal is for sale and basically just a flat piece of rubber with a hole. You can buy one or make one yourself. Just take the valve apart, clean, replace seals, put back together and it will last for years.

Thanks Kodjo. Yes I have. I got the kit and it contains more than I need. I think part 5. is inside the cylinder you see in the previous picture. I wanted to make sure because I have to break the old one to get it off. To me seems that one seal and alu ring are not needed.

IMG_3026.JPG

IMG_3025.JPG