Rotor color

64studeavanti

FWIW, there are obvious mistakes in authenticity manual. For example, it shows an "original" fuel pump. Since it has 8 screws, it is one of the retrofitted mopars. The picture you show from SI is a repop hub/rotor. I have 6 sets of rotor/hub on my shelve. So far they have all been painted silver. That is why I am questioning.

Hi, Here you see Rotor/Hub which has been unpainted since at least 1976. I don't know anything before that year. All of these are now sandblasted. Looks to me that hub was paint lightly black.

Näyttökuva 2022-2-2 kello 17.08.47.png

7 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

FWIW, there are obvious mistakes in authenticity manual. For example, it shows an "original" fuel pump. Since it has 8 screws, it is one of the retrofitted mopars. The picture you show from SI is a repop hub/rotor. I have 6 sets of rotor/hub on my shelve. So far they have all been painted silver. That is why I am questioning.

Yes, You are right about fuel pump.  I have original one to compare.

I have learned that there is no single truth. In those years, car and motorcycle manufacturers bought parts from subcontractors as needed. Manufacturers did not purchase parts for the full year need. This means that the parts may be different during the year. Some rotors might be painted, some not. Might be that there are two facts. I learned this when I was restoring my Italian bikes.
In this advert you see unpainted rotor. Might be prototype???
http://www.ritzsite.nl/63Stude/05_63stude.htm

Edited by Leo B
Added the link.

First, I applaud the efforts of those who compiled the authenticity manual. No small undertaking. By and large, what they were able to document they did an very good job.  However, with any task of that magnitude, there will be some mistakes. That being said, you may be correct. The rotors/hubs may have been left unpainted. That would have them appearing on the black side. No matter. As I stated, I will go with black for now. I can always paint them a different color later if necessary.

Edited by 64studeavanti

After looking closely at the shop manual, I believe that the rotors as well as the rear drums came from the factory a natural black as cast - not painted. I did find some material to restore the as cast color (insta-black 333).  However, I already painted them, so I will live with that for now