Steering Column Rag Joint: Adjusting to 5/16 vs 3/8 Coupler Bolts

cmholm

Abstract: my steering column to rag joint bolt holes are both ~5/16", while my new rag joint bolts are 5/16" and 3/8". Best way to cope?

Following up on @A83's question from 15 June, 2021 regarding steering column rag joints... after getting accidentally bounced over a hydraulic security barrier in 2019, my (solid shaft) steering column was left with some vertical play. I lived with it until this year, and found that both the rag joint and plastic steering column bushing were damaged. I ordered replacements from SI (bushing) and Nostalgic (rag joint).

I made the mistake of not test fitting the rag joint on the steering column while I had the column out and disassembled, and now find that while the bolt holes at the end of the steering shaft are both ~5/16", the bolts on the rag joint are 5/16 and 3/8". I understand that having differing diameters reduces the odds of reattaching the steering column 180 degrees out of whack, but when my car was built (R3318, 02-18-1963), Studebaker apparently hadn't yet seen the light.

Dan Booth said he hasn't run into this before, and so I'll need to drill out one of the holes. I'm not religiously opposed to doing this, but I lack a drill press, and am not enthusiastic about doing this with a hand drill. What is your experience? Is there a source for 5/16" x 5/16" rag joints, or should I suck it up and drill out a hole to 3/8"?

@silverstude offered up some rag joint suppliers that A38 could check for his '83 Avanti, but I suspect anything with an adjustable steering column for a '64 onward isn't going to be compatible.

Edited by cmholm
Fixed Title

• cmholm changed the title to Steering Column Rag Joint: Adjusting to 5/16 vs 3/8 Coupler Bolts

Hi, Is here a help? 

https://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Steer/Ragjoint/sdc72759bob.html

Seems its not the same part you have. Article part is https://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Style-3-4-Inch-36-Rag-Joint,41916.html

Looks like Avantiparts is selling same https://avantiparts.biz/steering-rag-joint-with-flange/

If you want to use the part you have then maybe drilling like Mr Krueger wrote in Facebook.
Note that you need a ground wire if there is no ground connection in new Rag Joint you have.

Edited by Leo B
Added text.

LeoB, encouraged by feedback on the FB Avanti Owners group, I gave drilling out one of the steering shaft holes a go, and it worked a treat. After cleaning up the hole with a Dremel, everything mated up cleanly. Although it doesn't show up in the photo, I added a grounding wire.

Rag_joint_joined.jpg

steering_shaft_hole.jpg

Edited by cmholm
Resize photos

• 4 weeks later...