Frame and torque box protection

pantera928

I am seeing that some of you say that your cars are daily drivers. What do you do to prevent frame and torque box rust?

That is my greatest fear if I use this car on nasty days. My frame and torque boxes are great and I want to keep them that way.

Thanks

First...does your Avanti have a moon roof?  If so...the drains dump right into the hog troughs so there might already be problems.  If you don't have a moon roof that's one less thing to worry about.

If your hogs are still solid, you can drill 1" holes in them in one or two places to allow any water to drain out or moisture to dry.  Then you can use plastic body plugs easily found at auto parts stores to snap in the holes so you can keep an eye on them and drain again if necessary down the road.  With the holes you can use a boroscope (flexible camera) to view the interior of the hog troughs to get a better idea of what you have.

If everything looks ok, you can use a fogger with some kind of corrosion inhibitor or an oil mist to coat the interior...then snap the plugs in.  Then you should be good.

For the frame...give it a coating of POR-15 or other encapsulating paint to keep rust from forming.  

38 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

First...does your Avanti have a moon roof?  If so...the drains dump right into the hog troughs so there might already be problems.  If you don't have a moon roof that's one less thing to worry about.

If your hogs are still solid, you can drill 1" holes in them in one or two places to allow any water to drain out or moisture to dry.  Then you can use plastic body plugs easily found at auto parts stores to snap in the holes so you can keep an eye on them and drain again if necessary down the road.  With the holes you can use a boroscope (flexible camera) to view the interior of the hog troughs to get a better idea of what you have.

If everything looks ok, you can use a fogger with some kind of corrosion inhibitor or an oil mist to coat the interior...then snap the plugs in.  Then you should be good.

For the frame...give it a coating of POR-15 or other encapsulating paint to keep rust from forming.  

Thank you. Questions.

My frame and troughs are solid as this car has always been garaged and not driven in bad weather. It only has 26K miles on it.

1) I have a sunroof and have heard about the drains going into the troughs. Has anyone come up with a good rerouting for them?

2) What about the inside of the frame? Hard to get POR-15 in there I imagine.

3) I have use a product called WaxOyl on other cars to get into tight spots. Ever tried it?

When I replaced my hog troughs, even though they were galvanized,  I used KBS Rust Blast and then Rust Seal inside and out. I then used the KBS Blacktop on the outside surfaces. Since I also was doing a frame off, I also used the Rust Blast, Rust Seal and Blactop on the frame.

The Rust Blast is a Phosphoric acid the neutralizes any rust the sand blasting missed.

As a suggestion, I used the Satin finish for the Rust Seal and the Gloss for the Top Coat so I could see if I had missed areas when applying the top coat.

KBS also has a product called Cavity Coater.  It comes with a 36" flexible tube and 360 degree tip in an Aerosol can.  You can use inside the frame.

I actually think the KBS products are better than the POR 15 products, but that is my opinion.

38 minutes ago, R2W55 said:

When I replaced my hog troughs, even though they were galvanized,  I used KBS Rust Blast and then Rust Seal inside and out. I then used the KBS Blacktop on the outside surfaces. Since I also was doing a frame off, I also used the Rust Blast, Rust Seal and Blactop on the frame.

The Rust Blast is a Phosphoric acid the neutralizes any rust the sand blasting missed.

As a suggestion, I used the Satin finish for the Rust Seal and the Gloss for the Top Coat so I could see if I had missed areas when applying the top coat.

KBS also has a product called Cavity Coater.  It comes with a 36" flexible tube and 360 degree tip in an Aerosol can.  You can use inside the frame.

I actually think the KBS products are better than the POR 15 products, but that is my opinion.

Interesting. Thanks

I have never heard of KBS products but will give them a look.

I have used POR-15 for many years on cars and have worn it on my hands for several weeks after when i did not use gloves.🤣

I just want to feel comfortable driving this car in rainy weather and not have it deteriorate. It is so solid and original and want to keep it that way but enjoy it as a driver.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, R2W55 said:

Just looked up KBS and ordered some to see what I think. Thanks for the lead

Eastwood has something similar to KBS, at lest in the applicator. I used it on my '63 hog troughs and frame. It went in well, and borescope inspection afterwards showed it covered very well.

1 minute ago, Ron Dame said:

Eastwood has something similar to KBS, at lest in the applicator. I used it on my '63 hog troughs and frame. It went in well, and borescope inspection afterwards showed it covered very well.

Thank you for that info and your experiences