Jump to content

From the "What Goes Here" file


Kevin Preston
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi there folks, long time since I have been here.  I have a frustrating mystery that I could use other sets of eyes on.

I have a 1980 Avanti II, have had it since 1998.  It had been off the road for a while due to totally shot brakes and mufflers.  About 2 years ago I replaced the cat and all the pipes and mufflers, then I did the brakes, and I replaced every single component to get the brakes working decently.

This past year the car has again gone into my garage until I can get to a major power steering issue, but that is not my problem.  I had to move the car and do a few things with it, and I suddenly noticed what you see in the picture below.  Not only is something missing, I don't know how I missed that it was missing.

I believe the AC dryer is complete gone.  This picture is the passenger side, near the front.  The upper hose is coming from the firewall, the other appears to go into the body and then go into the AC condenser in front of the radiator.

 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_eb.thumb.jpg.081f48fa19978fde4a27e382c9ad14d0.jpg

What are the thoughts here?  I cannot believe that someone climbed into my backyard over the fence, got into my car, and unbolted an old, likely leaking AC drier and bracket from my car.  All I can think of is right before I took the car off the road again, I took it to an AC shop to get an evaluation.  This guy wanted to change everything and charge me thousands.  I turned his offer down, and paid the $75 inspection fee.  Could that guy have swiped it because he needed it?  Or is there test equipment that some shops use to bolt in place to run tests, and he forgot to put it back?

Regardless, I would love any ideas of what is supposed to truly be there, and if that "floating wire connector" has any relationship to what is missing.  Once determined, my follow up of course is whether anyone has one to sell to replace whatever it is....

I am stumped and steamed about this one folks!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be the location for the drier.  These are available from several sources.  I found mine on Amazon.

  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R3VKI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

If your system uses a binary pressure switch in the compressor clutch circuit, the switch would be ordered separately.  My '78 did not have one, but I added it to protect the compressor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kevin Preston said:

Thanks guys.  I even saw one on Amazon that has an angle bracket that looks like it will bolt in where the old one was.

Still a mystery to me how something like that could completely disappear...

I vote for the expensive A/C guy taking it. No idea why though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once that system has been opened up you may realistically be looking at having to replace the entire system...or at least significant parts of it.  Everything may well need rebuilding or replacement.  A/C systems do not like open air introduced to its internals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pantera928 said:

I vote for the expensive A/C guy taking it. No idea why though.

I have no idea either.  I remember the place had one of those yelp ratings that were either four stars or 1 star, with people complaining about his grumpiness but that he was highly knowlegeable.

I don't know if it's because I've gotten to the age I am, or my brain chemistry had changed, or both, but next time I come across one of those guys who is kind of a jerk but "you just put up with it because he's great" I am just going to leave.  I didn't like his "everything has to be replaced" BS, and I didn't like him.

But I agree....a guy who is odd inspecting your system and giving you a $4k quote vs. the chance of someone getting into my backyard without me or my dogs noticing, popping the hood, and removing the unit is beyond believability.

Perhaps he liked the originality of the thing.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jim78 said:

That would be the location for the drier.  These are available from several sources.  I found mine on Amazon.

  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R3VKI8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

If your system uses a binary pressure switch in the compressor clutch circuit, the switch would be ordered separately.  My '78 did not have one, but I added it to protect the compressor. 

Do both these and the Summit that R2W55 recommended have fittings that match the stock Avanti fittings?  I would rather that than fool around with a bunch of adapters....every joint has another potential leaking point!!!!

Edited by Kevin Preston
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, R2W55 said:

I used VTA-07321-vvc from Summit. It does not have the low pressure switch output but does have a sight glass

Of course now you will need to completely evacuate and clean the system before a recharge

For right now, I just want to put something in there for the hoses to screw into.  Did you have to use adaptors with yours or did the stock fittings on the hoses just screw on fine?

Edited by Kevin Preston
add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Kevin Preston said:

For right now, I just want to put something in there for the hoses to screw into.  Did you have to use adaptors with yours or did the stock fittings on the hoses just screw on fine?

Not 100% sure on an Avanti but I have done American and foreign cars and things just screw together without adapters. That being said, if you are not going to charge your system right now, find a used dryer from a junkyard because the dessicant in a new one will be bad by the time you want to use it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Kevin Preston said:

I have no idea either.  I remember the place had one of those yelp ratings that were either four stars or 1 star, with people complaining about his grumpiness but that he was highly knowlegeable.

I don't know if it's because I've gotten to the age I am, or my brain chemistry had changed, or both, but next time I come across one of those guys who is kind of a jerk but "you just put up with it because he's great" I am just going to leave.  I didn't like his "everything has to be replaced" BS, and I didn't like him.

But I agree....a guy who is odd inspecting your system and giving you a $4k quote vs. the chance of someone getting into my backyard without me or my dogs noticing, popping the hood, and removing the unit is beyond believability.

Perhaps he liked the originality of the thing.....

$4K to redo the A/C?! That is incredible. THe last Alfa Romeo I did I spent under $1K and replaced everything

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pantera928 said:

$4K to redo the A/C?! That is incredible. THe last Alfa Romeo I did I spent under $1K and replaced everything

I don't know what it is.  I have a small car collection.  I tell people that I do most of my own work, with the exception of AC, transmission, and paint.  Still, they BS me like I am 17.  I have a very nice Avanti, I am sure members have ones here that are even nicer.  Why do they think they can get away with this BS?  The same in the paint world.

My son had an older 318i with some paint lift on the roof and trunk, the hood was surprisingly OK.  I was getting quotes for $2k to $3k and more.  I finally took it to a guy who is very good but has a shop in a not particularly nice town.  $550, computer matched paint.  I have associates that said, yeah, that's a good deal, but it will fade horribly.  5 years later, and it still has not faded and looks great.

I must have a sign on my back that I cannot see that says "This guy's an idiot and will pay anything you ask him to".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Kevin Preston said:

Do both these and the Summit that R2W55 recommended have fittings that match the stock Avanti fittings?  I would rather that than fool around with a bunch of adapters....every joint has another potential leaking point!!!!

The dryer that I used (Amazon link above) has the correct flare fittings for the Avanti, no adapters required.  Yes, any adapter is a future leak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, the Summit part I listed  fit the hoses on my 78.  Since it is a 'Dryer', It should not be opened up until you are ready to actually recharge the system.  When I took the the caps off the fittings, it actually 'hissed' which I assume was a vacuum on the part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, R2W55 said:

yes, the Summit part I listed  fit the hoses on my 78.  Since it is a 'Dryer', It should not be opened up until you are ready to actually recharge the system.  When I took the the caps off the fittings, it actually 'hissed' which I assume was a vacuum on the part.

I agree and that is why i recommended putting a used one on to plug the hoses until he is actually ready to get the system going. Hate to see someone throwing good money after bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...