Scope creep

64studeavanti

• 3 weeks later...

Frame has been media blasted and painted. All frame mounted components cleaned and painted as well. It has been well over 15 years since it was last done - replacing front and rear bushings. Engine, transmission etc in process of cleanup and repaint.  Hope to be done with chassis by Sunday.

All bushings have been replaced. Last time was over 15 years ago. Rear frame bushings were a lot easier with the body off. Also replacing rear emergency cable and installing new "quiet" exhaust system with resonators. So far, I have new bushings, brake cable,  rear wheel cylinders, calipers, brake shoes, brake pads, brake lines, fuel lines, steering knuckles, king pins, tierods, rebuilt hill holder, shocks, and clutch. Engine and transmission were rebuilt 15 years ago with only a few thousand miles. All much easier to do with body off.

Forgot new wheel bearings and seals. Also rebuilding correct 3509s fuel pump to replace modified mopar unit and correct 3589s AFB to replace Edelbrock 600. All nuts, bolts and other fasteners are correct and lightly zinc coated. Using blue threadlocker to make sure nothing comes apart. Rotors and drums are used, but in excellent condition with plenty of meat. Just ordered 670R15 bias look radials from Coker and period correct look alike "Williard" battery. As per other thread, this started as a hog trough replacement project and just grew. For paint, I ordered 2 gallons of Avanti gold lacquer from TCP Global. I know everyone is using BC/CC, but the lacquer paint on the car has held up over 20 years. Acrylic lacquer was originally used in 63 and again in repaint. Hoping for a good match. 

I've used the TCP Acrylic Enamel catalyzed on several projects and I like it because it lays down well when spraying and can be sanded and buffed to a very nice finish. Two other benefits are darn good pricing for what you get and repair is much easier that bc/cc.

Used two gallons of Daytona Yellow on my 74 and there is enough left for minor repairs in the future.

Luckily I'm a little easier at it. The first winter I made sure I could drive safely. After a fun summer with the Avanti I am now working on detailing, mainly the inside.
You have to keep in mind what is most important and work towards that.

For me a car is to drive, others really like originality or want to steal the show with the most beautiful car in town. To each his own. As long as you work towards your goal it is never useless.

Back in the day, the old body/paint guy I worked for loved Dupont Centari  acrylic enamel. It did lay out nice. We could paint a full size car with 3 quarts!

Acrylic lacquer is another matter. Need several coats and may need to sand/buff between. Studebaker used acrylic lacquer on Avantis. The 20 year old repaint on this car is Dupont Lucite  as well. 

Edited by 64studeavanti

45 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

Back in the day, the old body/paint guy I worked for loved Dupont Centari  acrylic enamel. It did lay out nice. We could paint a full size car with 3 quarts!

Acrylic lacquer is another matter. Need several coats and may need to sand/buff between. Studebaker used acrylic lacquer on Avantis. The 20 year old repaint on this car is Dupont Lucite  as well. 

I've had a lot of experience with acrylic lacquer, and I must say I'm a fan....My '63 Studebaker Avanti was painted with Lucite 'Avanti Turquoise' lacquer in 1999, and still shows very well...i must admit that this Avanti is basically a show car, is always garaged, and never sees inclement weather.

Also, it's very hard to beat the look of acrylic lacquer under florescent lighting...there's something about that hard, 'marble like' shine!

The negative to using lacquer automotive paints is that they aren't very durable if the car is exposed to real world driving......That beautiful shine fades away pretty quickly if the car sees a lot of sun.

For my money, BC/CC is hard to beat, in that it can be wet sanded and polished to a beautiful shine that can easily stand up to adverse weather conditions, lasting for years with minimum care.:)

You can use clear acrylic lacquer to accomplish much the same thing. This car was out in the elements the last 20 years. Paint still shines, but is starting to bubble. I am painting because I am replacing hog troughs and need to cut away and replace rockers etc to install the one piece troughs I bought from George Dimitsas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Keep up the good work. I have used all of those paints and remember when I could paint a car with Centari for $20.🤣

I wish there was a way to give posters "likes" on their posts like on other forums