Trouble seating upper windshield stainless trim

Jim S

I had a new windshield installed in my 87.  The glass and gasket went in fine as did the lower stainless trim.  The lower trim has a 90 degree bend on the channel insert that holds it in place.  However, the top trim does not. We have tried everything to seat it, but it won't go and stay down.  Any tips?  Thanks!

While I am not that familiar with the Avanti windshield, on every car i have installed a windshield in that uses a rubber gasket, I installed the trim into the gasket before installing the assembly onto the car

On the second try we took out the glass and put in the trim top and bottom in the gasket.  We taped it in and put the glass back in the car.  It still pops out!  The top piece has nothing to hold it in the rubber.  I don't understand how anyone can install this thing to stay put.  I have been to 3 windshield places and no one has seen an assembly like this on a gasket style windshield.  My car is grounded tfn. 

Edited by Jim S

• 1 month later...

Are you saying the windshield assembly "pops out" or the top stainless trim is popping out?  I seem to recall some mention that not all of the windshield rubber gaskets are created equal - you may want to get the gasket from another source. 

Also, my assumption is that you are installing according to the maintenance manual - using the 'Rope' method.  It really takes 3 people to do this job.  This installation (unlike some others) requires a liquid window sealant applied to the gasket area before install.  Finally, I think I recall the use of a sudsy soap/water solution to Help seat the stainless trim better on the rubber gasket.  From my experience I would pay attention to making sure the top of the assembly is all the way to the Top of the windshield opening.

Edited by wdaly
more info

On 1/17/2022 at 7:36 PM, Jim S said:

On the second try we took out the glass and put in the trim top and bottom in the gasket.  We taped it in and put the glass back in the car.  It still pops out!  The top piece has nothing to hold it in the rubber.  I don't understand how anyone can install this thing to stay put.  I have been to 3 windshield places and no one has seen an assembly like this on a gasket style windshield.  My car is grounded tfn. 

You may want to obtain a windshield upper stainless moulding from an Avanti coupe of any year...as the coupe mouldings, going back to the original Studebaker Avanti, had the 90' inside retaining bend.

The factory may have had to change that moulding on convertible models like yours...but perhaps the earlier Avanti coupe moulding could be adapted....Good luck with this tough problem.....Ed

• 1 month later...

Thank-you,

In the end, we replaced the top trim piece with an identical sized vinyl stick on!  It holds and looks better than the stainless one!