R3 Sales!!

mfg

Once an R3/4 engine was delivered to Studebaker in South Bend from Paxton Products, and if that engine wasn't installed in anything, it would be later sold aftermarket from South Bend......True?

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Not to throw in a wild card, but my R3 engine (B69) was originally shipped from STP in Des Plaines, IL (going from memory).

--Dwight

I wouldn't doubt it,  although the few R3 engines that sat unused in South Bend were mostly shipped back to Paxton in California,.....It was not unusual for the Granatellis to display a NOVI or two at STP's main office in Des Plaines......Why not an Avanti R3 engine for a time... before selling it off?:)

(Dwight...would you tell us a little more about B69....is it presently installed in an Avanti/Studebaker?)

4 hours ago, mfg said:

I wouldn't doubt it,  although the few R3 engines that sat unused in South Bend were mostly shipped back to Paxton in California,.....It was not unusual for the Granatellis to display a NOVI or two at STP's main office in Des Plaines......Why not an Avanti R3 engine for a time... before selling it off?:)

(Dwight...would you tell us a little more about B69....is it presently installed in an Avanti/Studebaker?)

B69 is installed in Avanti R5407 (originally an R1 4-spd car, gray with Claret interior).

--Dwight

R3 engine B-69 (1).JPG

I once saw an R3 in its shipping crate sitting next to a gold colored Avanti in  one of the bays at RB Clarks, in Falls Church, VA.  This had to be around 1967-68.    Never found out what was going on there.  I was in there for parts for my 57 GH

2 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

B69 is installed in Avanti R5407 (originally an R1 4-spd car, gray with Claret interior).

--Dwight

R3 engine B-69 (1).JPG

WOW!...that's a great photo of your bona-fide Avanti R3 engine Dwight....Thank you for posting!....There looks like there's considerable clearance between the fan blade tips and shroud....Could that be a 14" Hi-Po Avanti fan?

On 1/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, mfg said:

WOW!...that's a great photo of your bona-fide Avanti R3 engine Dwight....Thank you for posting!....There looks like there's considerable clearance between the fan blade tips and shroud....Could that be a 14" Hi-Po Avanti fan?

The fan blade measures the same as my R2 Avanti (7" from capscrew to tip of blade), so it isn't a 14" fan. There's much more gap at the top between the fan and the shroud, though.

--Dwight

On 1/17/2022 at 12:43 AM, Dwight FitzSimons said:

The fan blade measures the same as my R2 Avanti (7" from capscrew to tip of blade), so it isn't a 14" fan. There's much more gap at the top between the fan and the shroud, though.

--Dwight

Could that be because the body of your Avanti was raised off the frame a bit to accommodate the R3 pressure box ?:huh:

Edited by mfg
spelling