One-off Targa Roof. Raymond Loewy designs that were never put into production.

Leo B

I would say true.  Early sketches of what became the Avanti showed a targa roof.

I can't imagine the tornado inside that car with so much air being trapped inside when traveling at speed.  Anything not held down would be sucked out the roof.  I experienced that when I had a '78 Corvette with the T-Tops off...more than once something got sucked out of the roof when on the highway.  I can see the rear window requiring even stronger brackets to retain it.

30b794927966c48b168ea47b822c1f78.jpeg

Edited by Gunslinger

Thanks. I think you are right - not nice in a speed. Back roof is even higer than windshield. Vinyl suits fine if user likes luxury. Myself I like more aggressive and sporty style.

There were sketches by Sherwood Egbert and Raymond Loewy of a targa-type roof for the Avanti, but none such car was produced. The first owner of this car above, 63R-2833 in Pasadena, California had his Avanti modified with a targa style roof.  It was auctioned in March 2019 at the RM/Southeby's Fort Lauderdale, Florida auction for $104,500, including buyer's fees. 

We had two articles on the car in Avanti Magazine Issue 186, spring/summer 2019. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 11.42.00 PM.jpg